Author Topic: Brick wall? Thomas PARTRIDGE born ~1825 in Middlesex  (Read 612 times)

Offline WhataPratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brick wall? Thomas PARTRIDGE born ~1825 in Middlesex
« on: Thursday 12 April 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, I hope you can help me. I can’t trace my 3xgreat grandfather back beyond 1851.

His name was Thomas Partridge and he was born around 1824/1825 in “Middlesex London”, the son of Thomas Partridge, a labourer.

My problem is that there are lots of Partridges and “Middlesex London” and “Labourer” are both rather vague/common.  I haven’t been able to find a likely-looking birth/baptism, or a Thomas Partridge of the right age (~16) with a father called Thomas on the 1841 census, which might otherwise have been a clue. There are a number of possible candidates on the 1841 census not living with families, but then there isn’t always enough information to rule them in/out. 

Can you think of any lines of attack I haven’t tried, or should I give up hope of taking this line back further?

Here is the information I have on Thomas Partridge *after* 1851, and I think it's pretty comprehensive:

Thomas Partridge appears on the 1851 census in Cuckfield, Sussex, age 26, occupation “Ag Lab”, born “Middlesex London”. He was a lodger in the household of Henry Godsmark.

On 12 October 1851 in Cuckfield he married Ann Tullett. He was a bachelor, a labourer, and his father is listed as Thomas Partridge, a labourer. Witnesses were Henry Godsmark and Harriet Burtenshaw, a relative of Ann’s.

They moved to Brighton, Sussex, where three children were born (Sarah Ann, 1852-1853; Thomas James, 1854-1949; and Phoebe Elizabeth, 1856-1934). Thomas was a “labourer” according to the birth certificates.

Thomas Partridge died in Brighton on 30 January 1856 “by misadventure by a locomotive engine and tender”, aged 31.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall? Thomas PARTRIDGE born ~1825 in Middlesex
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
There is a report of the inquest in the Sussex Advertiser of 5 February 1856. Page 5, final column.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 16:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, can find no obvious baptism or sighting on 1841 census.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WhataPratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
There is a report of the inquest in the Sussex Advertiser of 5 February 1856. Page 5, final column.

Thanks ShaunJ, yes I have seen it. It added a good bit of detail, and helped convince me he was the right man when I was searching for his death! ("31 years of age and has left a widow and one child" - his daughter Phoebe's birth certificate confirmed that he died before she was born.

I've also found an article in the Brighton Gazette of 6 July 1854 about a Thomas Partridge who was charged with "cruelly torturing a horse", but in that case I can't be sure it's the same man, and I rather hope it isn't!

Unfortunately, can find no obvious baptism or sighting on 1841 census.

Yes, that is the same problem I'm having. Thanks for trying, Annette  :)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if we might learn something from the naming of the children. It's not following the common convention but here the first male child has paternal grandfather's name first, maternal grandfather's name second. The first female child has maternal grandmother's name second. Possibly
Thomas's mother was Sarah, Phoebe, or Elizabeth ? I'm not sure this moves us on a great deal!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WhataPratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if we might learn something from the naming of the children. It's not following the common convention but here the first male child has paternal grandfather's name first, maternal grandfather's name second. The first female child has maternal grandmother's name second. Possibly
Thomas's mother was Sarah, Phoebe, or Elizabeth ? I'm not sure this moves us on a great deal!

A very good thought! I hadn't noticed that before. I think that would make Sarah the most likely candidate. There are Phoebes in Ann Tullett's family (paternal grandmother and an aunt). But she also had a sister called Sarah Ann  ::)