Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Emanuel Jeyne, convicted at Monmouth Assizes  (Read 958 times)

Offline nbourkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Emanuel Jeyne, convicted at Monmouth Assizes
« on: Thursday 12 April 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm looking for information on Emanuel Jeyne's birth location. He was convicted at Monmouth Assizes for Burglary and transported to NSW in 1818. His birth date is recorded as 1788-89 but no location is given. Would he have been Welsh or were Englishmen convicted here too?

Naomi
Locations: Australia, UK & Ireland
Bourke (Tipperary), Loveday (Essex), Wigney, Wride (Bristol), McLucas (Isle of Mull), Wallwork, Owens (County Cavan), Grist, Pettitt, Parkes, Peachman, Milton (London), Johnson, Cook, Jeyne (Welsh border?), Bayman, Connolly, Spence

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Emanuel Jeyne, convicted at Monmouth Assizes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
He would have been convicted in the area where the offence took place, he could have been born anywhere
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
Looking at the convict indent for the Isabella in 1818 he was 21 (so born circa 1796-7), native place Gloucester, a charcoal burner.

He was aged 20 in December 1817 on the hulk Justitia which again points to a birth in 1796-7, and the applications to marry (in 1830 aged 33 and 1833 aged 36) also point to that period for his birth so I think you may be 8 years out on the birth year.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nbourkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 18 05:33 BST (UK) »
Looking at the convict indent for the Isabella in 1818 he was 21 (so born circa 1796-7), native place Gloucester, a charcoal burner.

He was aged 20 in December 1817 on the hulk Justitia which again points to a birth in 1796-7, and the applications to marry (in 1830 aged 33 and 1833 aged 36) also point to that period for his birth so I think you may be 8 years out on the birth year.

Hi Shaun,
Sorry for the confusion, I've actually got it down here as 1798-99 which is pretty close but I typed it up wrong. I'm new to this so thank you for the help. Very interesting information. Still getting used to the websites and records :)

Naomi
Bourke (Tipperary), Loveday (Essex), Wigney, Wride (Bristol), McLucas (Isle of Mull), Wallwork, Owens (County Cavan), Grist, Pettitt, Parkes, Peachman, Milton (London), Johnson, Cook, Jeyne (Welsh border?), Bayman, Connolly, Spence

Offline nbourkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 18 05:33 BST (UK) »
He would have been convicted in the area where the offence took place, he could have been born anywhere

Thank you, Rosie. That makes sense :)