Author Topic: O’TOOLE family in Wicklow  (Read 7464 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O’TOOLE family in Wicklow
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 28 April 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Don't forget Annie (Wisdom) OToole's g/stone is in same Cemetery.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 28 April 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
1916 is the cut off for births.
You could try FamilySearch but they don't always have mother's surnames and it's only an index they won't have the certs

Offline Hickers99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 06 May 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again. We have just been over to Dublin and Wicklow for 5 days - what a beautiful city and country you have! We managed to visit the library in Dublin which has a genealogy department and the lady there was very helpful. We also went to the GRO Research Centre in Dublin but found that very disappointing - lacking in appeal, no staff, no real help - just a depositary for records. We also went down to Wicklow town and saw the house where the relatives had lived. On the genealogy front we advanced no further. However, we now know the Rathdangan and Bray connections are irrelevant (at the moment). All the family was from around Newcastle, Blackrock, Blackditch and Clanmannan with a great, great grandmother from Monkstown, Dublin. They seemed to have the name of Toole and adopted the “O’” bit early in the 1900s. We plough on but have learned an awful lot in the last 6 months!

Offline Maeve Flannery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, am a lapsed member of this great site, looking forward to getting back again.
I am living in Wicklow Town and I think I know this family
Census Years1911 Residents of a house 7 in Clonmannon (Wicklow Rural, Wicklow)

Offline Maeve Flannery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Think I know of this family  MF

Offline Maeve Flannery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
By the way there were and still are only 9 houses on Convent Row

Offline Hickers99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Dear Maeve, Your name was actually given to us by Billy Roberts, who is the caretaker of the cemetery, as a source of local information. However, this research is something of a winter thing and we haven’t done anything more since my last post on this site.

My wife’s relatives actually lived in Convent Road (not Row) but you may still have known them! Billy gave us a lot of information about who is buried in the (2) graves in the cemetery and we have yet to fit all of this into our family tree. I can provide you with what we think we know so far if you are interested in that and you may be able to fill in a few of the blanks.

The main problem is that we know of only one living relative (an aunt over here in Eastbourne, England) who hasn’t been back to Wicklow for the last 50 odd years, although she regularly visited as a child/teenager. If there are any living relatives we would very much like to get in touch with them.

Best wishes, Mike & Jackie

Offline Maeve Flannery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 17 September 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike
I have not been doing any research for some time now, but back on tract. Will follow up ad let you know what I have by the end of the week. Sorry for the long delay.

Regards Maeve

Offline Hickers99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 17 September 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Maeve, There is no rush! And we will be away on holiday from the middle of this week until the 1st October anyway. We are fascinated by the wealth of knowledge of the locals around Wicklow. It is not the same over here in England, people seem to travel much further afield rather than stay in one place! Any information you have would be wonderful. We are planning on coming over to Wicklow again in May 2019 to see and do more. Best wishes, Mike and Jackie