Author Topic: Mary Roberts (McGrath) 1861  (Read 1218 times)

Offline RPLownds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Roberts (McGrath) 1861
« on: Thursday 12 April 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether anyone can help me, ive been putting together a family tree for the Lownds family of Sunderland. Ive traced back to a John Roberts & Mary Roberts, who appear in the 1851 & 61 Census. I have been unable to trace the background of Mary other than she was born in Ireland as Mary McGrath, she is 50 in the 1861 Census so her birth would have been around 1811

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Roberts (McGrath) 1861
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of Mary McGrath's for 1811 in Ireland. One baptised in Cork 9/2/1811 Father James, the other 13/8/1811 in Tipperary Father Edmund, Mother Margaret. If you were able to find a marriage you could possibly get the Father's surname if it was after 1837 of course.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
I hope the following is the correct family, if so it might provide some additional information?

1851 – Hope St. Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland
John 48 Yorkshire
Mary 41 Ireland
John 15 son Corfu
Mary 13 daughter Norwich, Norfolk
George W son 6 Sunderland, Durham
Martha J daughter 3 Sunderland, Durham

1861 - New Hope Street, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland
John    Chelsea Pensioner. 1802 Cartworth, Yorkshire
Mary 50
John U 16 Sunderland, Durham

1871 – John & Mary as above + George W age 6 grandson

https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php

John (1802) died at Hope St 1873 

Mary noted as Mary Ann born 1809 died 1878 at 4 South Hope St

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
There is an Army Service record for a John Roberts born abt 1803 in Kirk Burton, Yorkshire on the Find My past site -- not sure if this is your John.

He is also listed as a Chelsea Pensioner amongst the Chelsea Pensioner records on Ancestry.

This John joined the Army aged 24 and was discharged in 1850. In addition -- the John Roberts aged 15 and born Corfu, who was with John and Mary in 1851 is included in the British Army Birth records. Born in 1835, Corfu. (Find My Past) As it's the Civil Army Birth record no parents details are shown.

Hence - you could send for his birth record from the GRO to establish whether it is the correct family (although you would have to pay for it of course and if it's not the right family you will be cursing me!!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline RPLownds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your information, really useful, this is the correct family. Pennines, John & Mary must have married while he was serving in the army, would there be a military record of the marriage, would appear Mary is Mary Ann McGrath born 1809

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 18 10:43 BST (UK) »

Freereg Record:

Mary Roberts born 26 Jul 1838 baptised 19 Aug 1838 St Peter Mancroft Norwich. Of this Parish

Mother Mary. Father John Serjeant Of The 10th Regiment Of Foot.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Just to say I have seen your message re an Army marriage. I had thought the same thing so looked for one but only quickly.

Promise I will look more thoroughly later (I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you, but can't look right now.)
Places of interest;

Offline RPLownds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, I really appreciate your help.

Pennines, thanks in advance for taking a look, thats great.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 April 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi RPL,

Whilst I can find a couple of Army marriages for a John Roberts (in Corfu actually!) --- I cannot find a corresponding entry for Mary McGrath.

The records cover the years 1818-1864 and are an alphabetical list - each name having a reference number. Hence you have to search for one name - note the reference - then search for the other name to see if it comes up with the same reference number.

Unfortunately NO records are coming up for a Mary McGrath (or variant). I have also looked at Ireland marriages (just in case) -- but couldn't find one for this couple.

Maybe I am not searching these records correctly - as you would think it would be somewhere wouldn't you.

Interestingly there was an Army birth for a Mary McGrath in 1810 in London -- although if she was a Mary Ann, this isn't her either! (I had wondered if her father was in the Army and whether that is how she met John Roberts.)

Really sorry not to be able to help --- maybe someone else will be more successful with this hunt than I have been.
Places of interest;