Author Topic: Burial 1988 London, Ontario, possible British Home Child?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
Re: Burial 1988 London, Ontario, possible British Home Child?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
I just received the death notice. No information on family or background.  Not an obituary as such. Died in a Veteran’s Hospital, so he would have served in the military I assume to be a patient there?

After midnight here.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 April 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Oh good, LPL outstanding......not so good that there wasn't much information.

It seems Worthy maintained a low profile. There is that one possible on the 1935 Voters List in
Parkdale.

There are Toronto directories which include Parkdale, but I couldn't spot him.
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-city-directories.jsp

There are London directories but not for that time frame.

DB

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 April 18 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Perhaps you have already have this,

From the British Home Children in Canada Fegan Home, there is a group photo which includes
Worthy. Scroll down to "Hiving Off Party April 1923"  In the text below the photo, his name is the
5th line down.
http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/fegans.html

DB

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 April 18 00:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do not think you would get that promptness here in Australia! Thank you LPL!!!
The death notice is very perfunctory, so I imagine there is no family.
There is no way of finding out if he served in WW2 - which I am assuming he did now. Are the soldiers indexed anywhere? I did look at your national archives.
Yes, I previously found Worthy LLane in 1935 - they seem to have Welshified his name!
Have also discovered one of his sister's who was in the same orphanage  emigrated to South Africa with her family.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 April 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have seen the photo. I am thinking he might be the middle one back row. His name appears down the bottom of the photo W Lane (appears to be the fourth last name). Had to enlarge it on my screen.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 April 18 00:48 BST (UK) »

There is no way of finding out if he served in WW2 - which I am assuming he did now. Are the soldiers indexed anywhere? I did look at your national archives.

Canada has very strict privacy laws, so unfortunately WW2 service records etc. would not available.

DB

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 April 18 01:25 BST (UK) »
That is what I assumed. Thank you. I will take a look at the directories link. I guess unless he made the newspapers for some other reason, not much more to go on.