Author Topic: Burial 1988 London, Ontario, possible British Home Child?  (Read 588 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
Burial 1988 London, Ontario, possible British Home Child?
« on: Friday 13 April 18 02:21 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if it is possible that there is an obituary or death notice for a Worthy Lane who was buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, London, Middlesex, Ontario. Dates given for him are 1909 - 1988. There is no other information other than name and dates on this index.

I think this is the same Worthy Lane who was sent to Canada with the Fegan's Homes in 1923 via the Mountcalm vessel.

http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/fegans.html

The Worthy Lane I am interested in birth was registered in 1905 in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire, Wales. Born to Mark Lane and Rachel Silverthorne (aka Thorne). He was orphaned by 1910 with both parents deaths registered that year. He, and some of his siblings, are at the Muller's Orphan Houses, Ashley Down, Bristol, Gloucestershire, England in 1911, per census.

I have found him on the shipping registers leaving from Liverpool and bound for Toronto in 1923. Also found upon arrival. Age was 17 1/2.

There is a Worthy "Llane" on the Canada Voter's List for 1935 at Parkdale, Ontario, Canada working as a Clerk. Ancestry has it indexed as Worthy "Uane". Despite the discrepancy with the birth date, I am assuming the burial is for the same man.

This is the first Home Child I have encountered, although I am very concerned about their plight. I know of the terrible experiences here in Australia.  My father emigrated from Europe in 1959, we have since discovered there were British Home Children on his ship, upon reading a book written by David Hill, who was one of those children.

I also do not know if Worthy married?

Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
Re: Burial 1988 London, Ontario, possible British Home Child?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 18 02:45 BST (UK) »
I will ask moderator to delete this as question has posted twice. Please reply to other post.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.