Author Topic: Deciphering and translating Latin Quarter Sessions record: help please  (Read 757 times)

Offline Yorkshirepudd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there,
Am hoping someone might be able to help me decipher this record from the Wakefield (Yorkshire) Quarter Sessions from 1682, relating to Thomas Randerson. Would love to know what it says in full detail. There seem to be two entries here that he appears in... and the only word that I've managed to decipher myself is 'thief'  ::)   Not having much luck with the rest of it.

Any help you may be able to provide would be hugely appreciated 

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering and translating Latin Quarter Sessions record: help please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to RootsChat  :)

These are two separate indictments, for hearings where Thomas Randerson (could be Rannderson or Raunderson ?) appears as a witness.

In the first indictment shown, Thomas Moxon, a bailiff for the county, is accused of having unlawfully extracted money from Randerson in connection with a suit heard in October 1682.

In the second indictment shown, John Dickinson is accused of having had Randerson arrested under a counterfeit warrant in May 1682.

This is the gist, in the order in which the alleged events occurred.
(I haven’t picked up every word, but I’m not seeing the word ‘thief’ anywhere.)

=====

John Dickinson
And that John Dickinson, lately of Thorp Arch in the county of York, gentleman (through his attorney), on the last day of May in the thirty-fourth year [1682] of the reign of our lord Charles the Second by the grace of God King of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith etc., at Wetherby in the West Riding in the aforesaid county, on the pretext of his aforesaid office, of his own accord and with false authority, did wittingly, deceitfully and falsely make a writ or warrant (in English, did forge and counterfeit) for the appearance of the same Thomas Randerson of Walshford at the county court held at York Castle for the aforesaid county, and upon the aforesaid writ or warrant he did have the same Thomas Randerson arrested (in English, cawsed to be arreasted) at the suit of a certain John Hutton(?), to the loss of the same Thomas Randerson, and in contempt of the said lord King and his laws, and against the form of statute issued and provided for in such a case.
Witness: Thomas Randerson, sworn

Thomas Moxon
And that Thomas Moxon, lately of Wetherby in the county of York, labourer (being a bailiff in the West Riding of the aforesaid county), on the last day of October in the thirty-fourth year [1682] of the reign of our lord Charles the Second by the grace of God King of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith etc., at Wetherby aforesaid in the West Riding in the county aforesaid, on the pretext of his aforesaid office, did unjustly and unlawfully take, receive and extort from a certain Thomas Rannderson, attached at the county court held at York Castle for the aforesaid county at the suit of a certain John Danyell, two shillings as a fee, when no such fee was due to him, to the loss of the same Thomas Randerson, and against the form of statute issued and provided for in such a case.
Witness: Thomas Randerson, sworn

Offline Yorkshirepudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you so much for your detailed reply Bookbox. So interesting to hear my ancestor was the innocent party, and not a thief after all (i'd tried deciphering it myself, and used google translate to come up with the 'thief' translation... won't be doing that again  ;D )

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
As it happens, the Sessions records show that he was indicted for theft a few months later, in 1683.

ADDED:
Pontefract, 17th April 1683
And that Thomas Randerson, lately of Walshford in the county of York, labourer, on the twenty-seventh day of January in the thirty-fourth year [1682/3] of the reign of our lord Charles the Second by the grace of God King of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith etc., with force of arms etc., at Gelstrop in the West Riding in the aforesaid county, did then and there feloniously steal, take and carry away one cow (in English, one cow), black in colour, then and there being found, to the value of fifty shillings, from the goods and chattels of a certain Robert Thomson, against the peace of the said now Lord the King, his Crown and Dignity.
Witnesses: Robert Thomson, Robert Tenant, Mathew Halliday, Charles Folter(?), sworn
=====

In these West Riding sessions books, the plea, verdict and sentence are written in a different hand across the top of each indictment, in formulaic Latin, highly abbreviated. I think this one says that he was found guilty and was branded.

Offline LNC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 02:24 BST (UK) »
I am so grateful to Bookbox for translating these Sessions records. I had found them on Ancestry and put them in my tree for Thomas Randerson with the note that I couldn't read them. Is it alright for me to copy the translations? I hope so.
JohnRanderson-Catholic baptism Garforth/Aberford 1806-1862 E.Keswick YKS marr'dEliz.Kirby Bardsey1831
Combe/Combs/Coombe Winchcombe,7HamptonGLS
Combs Broadway Worc1788->
Hartley - Guiseley Yorkshire, Chapeltown, Leeds,
Townend - Castleford, Colton,Whitkirk
Bacon - STS(Uttoxeter) GLS
Ann Hirons d1873 Tewkesburyaged 92
Sarah Smith m'd John Birdsall 1827 Rothwell YKS
Randerson, Fawcett, Kirby nr Harewood YKS 1700->
Marchants Sussex/Middlesex/Illinois
Walsh, Collins, Hogan, Roscmon Ireland

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 08:36 BST (UK) »
I am so grateful to Bookbox for translating these Sessions records. I had found them on Ancestry and put them in my tree for Thomas Randerson with the note that I couldn't read them. Is it alright for me to copy the translations? I hope so.

Yes  of course, you're welcome. Glad to be of help.