Author Topic: Jane Anderson from Closeburn  (Read 1097 times)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Anderson from Closeburn
« on: Friday 13 April 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for info on Jane/Jean Anderson who is my 3x Great Grandmother. She married James Marchbank in 1850 and had my 2x Great Grandmother as well as her siblings. However, I'm struggling to find any birth records on her.

What make it more tricky is the fact that James was married before meeting Jane, to a Cathrine Marchbank who died in 1847. They had several children together and on the subsequent censuses after her death, Jane had been named as the mother of these children, when in fact they were actually her stepchildren. According to the 1851 Census, Jane was 38 and was born in Closeburn. I tried to find a birth record for her in Closeburn at that time but nothing has come up.

Any advice on this would be gratefully appreciated.
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Anderson from Closeburn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Have you downloaded a copy of Jane's death cert from Scotlands People to establish who her parents were?

Given that Jane was 37 when she married Marchbank - is it possible she was previously married?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
That's the thing, I'm struggling to find her death record too.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
What's the last census you have found her on?

When did James Marchbank die - does his death cert show Jane as still alive?  They are both on the 1861

James was 18yrs older than her so if you can't find her after his death have you considered she may have re-married?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 18 23:57 BST (UK) »
If you look at the 1871 entry - Jane is not present but James is still alive and the 2 daughters Catherine and Christine are also living with him.

See SP - Jane died 1865 - entry is under both Anderson and MarchbankS and shows her mmn as Little

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 18 21:53 BST (UK) »
If you look at the 1871 entry - Jane is not present but James is still alive and the 2 daughters Catherine and Christine are also living with him.

See SP - Jane died 1865 - entry is under both Anderson and MarchbankS and shows her mmn as Little

I agree with the date of death but when I looked for her birth record with her parents names as recorded on death record, there were no matches at all. This was strange because there is only record of a child called Kathrine born to Robert Anderson and Margaret Little in 1809 in Closeburn but no other records of any more children. However, I found a 1841 Census for Robert Anderson and there was a mention of a Janet Anderson on it but the DOB doesn't seems to match up?

However, there is a birth record for a jane Anderson born in Closeburn, in 1817 to a Robert Anderson and Mary Kirkpatrick. But this doesn't make any sense because on the death record it was stated that Jane's mother was a Little. This is getting a bit more complicated!