Author Topic: William Hart Hardcastle  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Frances 1954

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Hart Hardcastle
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate for William Hardcastle and a Mary Pope in 1866 Truro, On certificate William is aged 49 years and a widower, occupation labourer. father John (deceased).Mary is aged 36 Spinster, no occupation father John (deceased).

Williams death certificate states age as 74 years, Formally Stonemason and Elizabeth Ann his daughter as present at the death. I know for sure this is right because of the address of King Street Plymouth.

The name of Hart was picked up from the marriage certificate of Elizabeth Ann Hardcastle his daughter he has signed as William Hart Hardcastle.

The birth certificate which I obtained for Elizabeth Ann Hardcastle 1863 Heston states her mothers name as Ann Pope. ? doesn't correspond with the census Mary. No father named.
The other birth in Helston 1863 for Elizabeth Ann Hardcastle, the mother is married and had a maiden name which I have discounted.

I have found 1841,1851 and 1861 census for Yorkshire with a William Hardcastle on being a Stonemason, which would fit with the death certificate but then I would need to discount the 1861 for Cornwall. The question is if this is him before why would he leave a family in Yorkshire. Is this where we get the fact he was the black sheep of the family and he ran away with the gypsies?

I need concrete proof and at the moment all I have is the fact that Elizabeth Ann Hardcastle was my Great Great Grandmother. Elizabeth could not read or write but she acquired a lot of property in the Plymouth area and her daughter ran  a local pub in Plymouth called The Bulls Head, King Street which was where my mother was born.

Thank you to all   your replies,

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:26 BST (UK) »

The birth certificate which I obtained for Elizabeth Ann Hardcastle 1863 Heston states her mothers name as Ann Pope. ? doesn't correspond with the census Mary. No father named.
The other birth in Helston 1863 for Elizabeth Ann Hardcastle, the mother is married and had a maiden name which I have discounted.

I need concrete proof and at the moment all I have is the fact that Elizabeth Ann Hardcastle was my Great Great Grandmother.

Neither of those birth registrations matches Elizabeth's age of 6 on the 1871 census which is why I looked for a birth 1865 +/- 1 year and found this one I previously posted
Elizabeth Ann Pope. Helston reg district June 1/4 1866 vol 5c page 266
Have you discounted this one ?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:32 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Ann Pope birth reg Jun qtr 1866 Helston had mother’s maiden name Gilbert, in case that helps either way.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
I see that Elizabeth Ann did indeed name her father as William Hart Hardcastle (a hawker) when she married William Charles Moss in Plymouth in 1883 (NB this is not his “signature” and is not evidence that Elizabeth’s father was present at the marriage).

The witnesses were Edwin Moss and Rosina Hart.  I wonder who the latter was?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1841 census that you refer to with William as a stone mason?
Handsworth  Hundred: Strafforth and Tickhill, Yorkshire
Registration district:Sheffield  Sub-registration district:   Handsworth
William Hardcastle   30  stone mason  local
Ann Hardcastle   30
Elizabeth Hardcastle   10
Joseph Hardcastle   8
Phebe Hardcastle   5
John Hardcastle   3
William Hardcastle   9 Mo
John Hooley   60
Class: HO107; Piece: 1331; Book: 6; Folio: 15; Page: 23;

Added
Just putting the family in 1861
Wm Hardcastle   47
Ann Hardcastle   50
Wm Hardcastle   20
Jane Hardcastle   13
Levi Hardcastle   11
Emma Hardcastle   7

and stating that Levi goes to USA in 1866, so will not show in 1871 if anyone looking for him then.

Offline Frances 1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 April 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
Yes this was the census (1841) I was talking about. as I have said I am unsure if this is him but this was the only William Hardcastle that I could find who was a stonemason In the Yorkshire are, I also noted that there was a joseph Hardcastle living next door who was also a stonemason.
William can be found in1851 and 1861 as a stonemason in York with a family but I haven't ben able to find him in 1871 in York. Although I have found a death of possibly his wife in 1864. Could this be when he went off with the gypies but why leave his family of children.