Author Topic: Missing birth registration  (Read 1701 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing birth registration
« on: Saturday 14 April 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help in finding a birth registation please.

It is for a Florence Goddard.

She is on the 1881 Census with her grandparents Charles and Anna Goddard in Thingoe, Troston, Suffolk.
She is given as being aged 9, and born in Croyden Surrey, and is ‘Florence A C” Goddard. (so born about 1872).
Later, on her first marriage in 1894 to Stevenson Macdonald in Acton, Middlesex,   she says she is Florence Amy Cousins Goddard, aged 22. (born 1872).
On her second marriage to Alexander James Macdonald (Stevenson’s brother) in New Zealand in 1807, she is ‘aged 38’ and was ‘born at sea’.
On both marriages she says her father was ‘Charles Murray Cousins Goddard’ a naval captain (deceased in 1894).
I can find no trace of her birth, or even a registration, or any trace of a Charles Murray Cousins Goddard, either in the navy or not.

On her second marriage, she gives her mother’s name as Sarah Goddard, nee Canham.
Canham was the maiden name of her GRANDMOTHER Anna, who married her grandfather Charles (of the 1881 Census), in 1839 at Thingoe, Suffolk. They did indeed have a daughter named Sarah (Goddard), who would have been the right age to have a daughter Florence around 1872.
I have Sarah on later Censuses. She married later on and had no children.
I’m thinking Florence was Sarah’s illegitimate daughter, and it would seem this whole story about her father was just that - a made up story.

Having said that, she should still have been registered around 1872, but I can’t find it, even with the ‘maiden names’ given in the gro.gov.uk site.

Any ideas gratefully received! Many thanks.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline classicgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Climbing Trees!! LOL
    • View Profile
Re: Missing birth registration
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hiya

I too am looking for a birth registration for somebody born in 1873, I am told it wasn't compulsory for births to be registered in this time frame. Hopefully yours is

Carolyn
White - Sheerness,Gillingham,Kent
Richardson - Hawick, Rox
Lunn - Durham, Lincoln
Wilson - Lincoln
Smith - Lincoln

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya

I too am looking for a birth registration for somebody born in 1873, I am told it wasn't compulsory for births to be registered in this time frame. Hopefully yours is

Carolyn

It was compulsory but until 1875 the onus was on Registrar to go out and get the information and quite a lot were missed. From 1875 it was the responsibility of the parents to go and register the birth.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline classicgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Climbing Trees!! LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
I still live in hope Jebber of breaking down my wall .... one day.... when he wants to be found

As for the original post, if Sarah was illegitimate then her birth could have been unregistered in this loophole, I have also come across in my own tree two illegitimate births that were registered by the Grandmother, the transcriptions showed grandmothers name so it came up in different searches, but when you looked closer at it the mothers name was there too....Just a thought.

Good Luck

Carolyn
White - Sheerness,Gillingham,Kent
Richardson - Hawick, Rox
Lunn - Durham, Lincoln
Wilson - Lincoln
Smith - Lincoln

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Sarah Goddard is working as servant in Croydon in 1871 for Cousins household. Head of household is Charles Cousins
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
I think he's Charles Murray Lugger Cousins

added
he was a widower at time of '71 census but married again a few months after (6 july 1871).

If Florence was 9 when 1881 census was taken (3 April 1881), her birth would be between 4 April 1871 and 3 April 1872 (if my maths is right), conception between late June  1870 and late June 1871.
Hmmm...
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 April 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Carolyn

It was compulsory but until 1875 the onus was on Registrar to go out and get the information and quite a lot were missed. From 1875 it was the responsibility of the parents to go and register the birth.

The parents were also expected to register the birth, and the 1836 Registration Act made it clear that they were permitted to do so.
Section XIX of the act states that the “Father or Mother of any Child ........ may*, within forty-two Days next after the Day of such Birth .........give Notice of such Birth ....... to the Registrar of the District;" In this context may means to have the opportunity, or be permitted by circumstances not to wait for the registrar.
In fact if the birth was not registered within forty-two days there was a fee of two Shillings and Sixpence entitlement for the Superintendent Registrar, and five shillings for the registrar, which is probably why some births were not registered.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 April 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Sarah Goddard is working as servant in Croydon in 1871 for Cousins household. Head of household is Charles Cousins

That's great Lizzie!  :)
I think you've solved the problem.
Thank you so much.
I did look for a registration under the name 'Cousins' as well as Goddard and Canham, but there does not seem to be one. Keeping it quiet no doubt.
I see Charles Murray Lugger Cousins had about a dozen children (not counting the probable one by Sarah)! One of which was christened 'Florence Amy', and Sarah named her daughter .............. Florence Amy!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
Have you tried checking for a birth of 'female GODDARD' in 1871/72? In case Florence hadn't been named yet. Sarah could have travelled away from Croydon to have her child so check all counties (this doesn't explain the 'at sea' mention - but maybe Florence didn't really know where she was born or chose to lie.

If you use the index on the GRO website, you'll be able to see if any of the birth registrations didn't have a different mothers maiden name, so probably ruling out some of the registrations?

Might be worth a try?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk