Author Topic: Thomas Ridgley  (Read 1512 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Ridgley
« on: Saturday 14 April 18 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hello I am just wondering if someone can help me with a conundrum.

Thomas Ridgley was born 1868/1869 in West Bromwich according to the 1881 census.  His mother was Fanny Ridgley 1835 (single) who is recorded as housekeeper for Joseph Truss 1833 (married)  There are also two children Clara & Maria Truss  aged 8 & 10 respectively. Page Number: 30
Registration Number:   RG11 Piece/Folio:2863/17

I can't find a 1871 census for either Thomas or Fanny Ridgley but Joseph Truss (1831)  as a wife Fanny (1835) wife from West Bromwich the same details as Fanny Ridgley living in Tipton Staffordshire the same as in 1881. There are several children Thomas Truss age 20, Olivia 14, Joseph 9, Thomas King Truss 3, & Maria 0?

I have found the 1841, 1851 and 1861 for Fanny Ridgley living with her parents and siblings but can't find the 1871 or 1891 for Fanny Ridgley or Joseph Truss.

Thomas Ridgley married in Farnworth Nr Prescott 11.04.1891 to Catherine Barrett but cannot find an 1891 census.  He is on the 1901 census at Farnworth near Prescott but at some point they moved to the Manchester area.  I think Thomas might have been in the Manchester workhouse 1910-1911 as there was a Thomas Ridgley admitted.  Thomas's wife Catherine (1867 born in Widnes area) on 1911 census was working in service in Cheetham Manchester.  The couple had three children John James (1894) Daniel (1897) and Joseph (1900)  Joseph in 1911 was living with Catherine's sister Bridget and Patrick Kerwin her husband.  Daniel I think may have been in Fazackerley hospital/school?  I haven't found John James but he turned up again and married in Radcliffe in 1921 as did his brother Joseph.

I can't get my head round whether Joseph Truss was his father?  Where was he on the missing censuses?

Any information and help you can give me to unravel this mystery would be appreciated.

Eileen

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Ridgley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
General Register Office (GRO)

Truss, Myra, Sep Qtr 1870, reg. district Dudley, vol 6c, page 56 - mother's maiden name Ridgley

Is this Maria, age 7 months on the '71 census with Joseph and Fanny

Cannot see a Clara but
Truss, Harriet, Mar Qtr 1872, Dudley, vol 6c, page 63 - mother's maiden name Ridgley

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has a baptism (transcription) for -

Clara Truss, bap 13 Aug 1873, Tipton, parents Joseph Truss and Fanny

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
I don't understand?  My main target is Thomas Ridgley who was born 1868/1869 in West Bromwich with mother Fanny Ridgley. 

On the 1881 census with Joseph Truss Thomas's mother is recorded as single and as housekeeper but Thomas is recorded as son.

The 1871 census shows Joseph Truss with a wife Fanny with the same details that were recorded for Fanny Ridgley on the 1881 census with the exception she is recorded as single and housekeeper.

I haven't found the census for 1871 for Fanny Ridgley or her son Thomas so are you saying that you think Joseph's wife was Fanny Ridgley?  ??? ??? ??? ???

Eileen

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This may have no connection at all and apologies if it complicates things but...
Birmingham Daily Gazette 20 Feb 1868
"I Joseph Truss will not be answerable for any debt or debts my wife Susannah Truss may contract after this notice, Regent Street, Princes End.
February 18th 1868.
Joseph Truss"
In 1881 josephs pob Deanshanger, Northants ( near Potterspury)
Marriage OND 1851 Potterspury
Joseph Truss
Same page Susannah Parry

The couple could have split and Joseph moved in with Fanny who along with any of her children took on his surname as and when she wanted to
Cathy.
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
On 1871
Thomas Truss aged 20

Birth JFM 1852
Edward Thomas Truss
mmn Tarry

Cathy
Marriage 1872
Edward Thomas Truss and Hannah Bourne  resident West Bromwich
Edwards father   Joseph Truss, contractor
One witness Alice Truss
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
I would say that is your Thomas Ridgley and his mother on the 1871 Census

She could have been recorded as his wife and Thomas as son ..I don't think a marriage took place
Possible death for Fanny Ridgley birth year about 1834
Death 1886 age 52
Registration District Dudley Staffordshire ...

Think you will find Joseph Truss in the Dudley Union Workhouse in the 1891 Census age 62

Possible death for Joseph Truss  1897 age 72 Dudley Staffordshire

Rosie

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
That's what hanes teulu is saying.
Fanny had Thomas in 1867/8 before she could be married.
Sometime around Christmas 1869 she moved in with Joseph.
Joseph had been married before back in Northamptonshire 2.11.1851 at Passenham.
Joseph Truss 19 labourer Deanshanger s of Edward labourer
Susanna Parry 20 lace maker  Same d of John Parry labourer.

Children Edward Thomas Pottersbury Mar 1852,Alice Dec 1853,Fanny Dec 1855,Alice Dec 1857,Joseph 1859 and Joseph June 1862 and (Alice 1863 ?)
They are together in 1861 with their 4 children.On the birth indexes mother's maiden name given as Tarry.Their youngest child is Joseph born June 1862 at Wolverhampton
Another Daughter Alice is baptised at St Mary's Wolverhampton 25.12.1863 but no birth registration.
The family had buried daughter Alice no1 at Merridale 17.6.1856 age 2ys 6mths died from measles of Walsall St
Son Joseph 28.7.1861 age 11months Diarrhoea of Union Mill  ST

Susanna then disappears but there is no death for her.So if she is still alive Joseph can't remarry so Joseph and Fanny are living in sin.

Joseph is on the 1891 census as a widower age 62 general labourer Northampton in the Dudley Workhouse at Gornal.
He died June qtr 1897 at Dudley age 72 6c 34.

Fanny's death is as Fanny Ridgley June 1886 Dudley age 52  6c 28

They had never married but lived together and had children together.
As Joseph Truss already has a son Thomas I doubt he is Joseph's father but of course I could be wrong.
I'd be looking at Thomas Kings in the West Bromwich area around 1860's for Thomas's dad but that would just be a guess.

Sorry i was typing while the others replied.They beat me to it.

Ciderdrinker

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
I would say this is a possible birth for Thomas Ridgley 1866 West Bromwich might be worth checking

Rosie