Author Topic: Distinction between foster child and adopted child  (Read 1216 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Distinction between foster child and adopted child
« on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Since a legal framework for adoption was introduced in 1926, the distinction between an adopted child and a foster child is clear. But was their any distinction prior to 1926? If a couple were bringing up a child, who wasn't their natural child, as if it were their own, would they consider themselves its foster parents or adoptive parents? Would it depend on whether the child was an orphan or if one or both natural parents were alive but they were not currently in a position to look after the child? 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Distinction between foster child and adopted child
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
I think it varies from family to family
My gran was brought up by another family not related to her and was considered their daughter her parents were both still living
Another ancestor brought up their niece and they have her in the census as a niece both her parents had died
My 2x great grandparents in one census have an adopted daughter although she only appears with to be with them for a short while as the census either side she is living with her natural family

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Children who were boarded out by organisations such as Barnado's or by workhouses were often put down in censuses as "Foster child".

"Adopted" is the common term used for children of the wife's first marriage (or other relationship). It also covers the equivalent of modern adoption, such as the children of a coal miner whose wife died unexpectedly. Two of his workmates took on his three children.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Henry Green and Matilda Gwynn had a niece Matilda Emily Green Gwynn with them in 1881 in Huddersfield. By 1891 she is "Adopted Daughter" and by 1901 plain "Daughter". (She was illegitimate per the GRO). So the definition could be flexible over time.

(Not to be confused with their daughter Matilda Mary Green on the 1871, who died).
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
The 1926 Adoption Act came into effect 1st January 1927

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
The 1926 Adoption Act came into effect 1st January 1927

Stan
Mr Google must have come up with the year the legislation was passed
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 April 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
As you say

Since a legal framework for adoption was introduced in 1926, the distinction between an adopted child and a foster child is clear.

prior to that, certainly on written record it would have been down to the individual, their knowledge/education and likely where they lived how they described the status of the child with them.

In my own research on census I have seen my great uncle written as  'orphan' who was living with his aunt/uncle yet his mother was still alive. I have seen 'step daughter'  of a child who was clearly after research unrelated biologically to both 'parents' so was a 'placed' child who they treated as adopted who named her 'adopted' father as her father when she married. I have ancestors who named some of their grandchildren as 'visitors' where as others in the household they said 'grandchildren' and some who put 'relation'
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 April 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
There's no hard and fast rule in these cases.  People even contradict themselves.

My grandmother was orphaned as a child, and went to live with an aunt, a sister of her father.  In the 1901 census she was described as "Adopted".  The 1911 census shows her as "Niece".

Incidentally that solved a longstanding mystery as I hadn't identified the aunt, since for some reason she used her mother's maiden name instead of her own when marrying.  So I hadn't realised that she was a relative at all until the 1911 provided that helpful clue.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 April 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
... and don't forget that one can find "Son in Law" and "Daughter in Law" used for stepson and stepdaughter!!
I'd found in one census an "adopted" daughter, who had a different surname from our family. I found she was born to a woman who may or may not have been a servant with the family - a family relative registered the birth, and she was born nearby, and when that child grew up, she used names of the father of that family for her own children.... do you think there was a connection?
(Her birth mother had also given birth to a somewhat older male child, before, but he only survived a year or so. As far as I can see, she didn't marry or have her daughter with her in later life)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)