Author Topic: Supporting documentation for John Jones, Lydia Williams, Leah Emazine Jones  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Supporting documentation for John Jones, Lydia Williams, Leah Emazine Jones
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 April 18 20:21 BST (UK) »

Leah's christening record is barely readable - though I'm pleased to have found "FindMyPast"! Can anyone help me identify the place names listed and the comment at the end of the line? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bHVkiN0Q8RGUkKZUM0xQHXkjq3Go8zFU

Very confused as you e-mailed me about this last night and I replied with the relevant information.  I explained the entry and even found where Moelydd was and gave you map links!

Also here:
Link to map showing location of Moelydd:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101593828#zoom=3&lat=4354&lon=7016&layers=BT

(NLS links are playing up today!)

gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chandmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:31 BST (UK) »
I didn't forget - you quoted something I posted before you emailed me the details. Thank you!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
One of the things which is puzzling is the 1845 marriage cert for John and Lydia. On this, both their fathers are given as J. <surname> and labourer as if they didn't know.

This is especially puzzling, given that the John that you've identified was a malster on the 1841 and 1851,  and is also given as a malster on the baptisms of Elizabeth and Emma in 1832.

Hmm - not convinced about John and Ellen.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
Ah - I see, you posted the request on here and then e-mailed me about the entry with the same questions,  which I then replied to  ;D

Offline chandmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
I'm not convinced either, especially given all their other children were consistently documented.

Lydia's death certificate lists her parents, birthplace, and place of marriage, which is consistent with the 1845 marriage certificate.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2qT_gSEY6W6UWpzWi1VWFdLZkE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2qT_gSEY6W6VW9nRDFYam92Sm80S3FrWjF2QVM1TUNqOThB (better view of right hand edge)

We also have Lydia and John's first known child Leah in Trefonen in 1840, and then the three of them in Liverpool in 1841.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Did you follow up on sister Mary. Maybe difficult with Williams but at least it's not Jones  :-\

Will look at your links tomorrow.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Only thing that I can think of at the moment that might link Lydia to Ellen and John is that she was born to Ellen before marriage (as Leah was to Lydia). I've had a good look for a baptism without a  surname for Ellen but nothing so far.

Offline chandmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 April 18 00:41 BST (UK) »
Here is Lydia and John Jones' marriage certificate, for consistency: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wbyYL_HoE8JfkhJafLU9CkvxBV64vOx9/view?usp=sharing

I'll look into Mary Williams and see what comes out. I haven't been able to find marriage certificates for John and Ellen Williams of Oswestry.

Offline chandmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 April 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
Two Mary Williams' baptisms were recorded in Oswestry in 1819. One of them died in 1840. Neither seem to be recorded locally in the 1841 census.

There was a Mary, daughter of William and Mary also from Leg Street, baptized in 1818. William Williams was a Naylor or Taylor. Was this a time and place where baptismal names varied from given names?

Lydia William's last child, Mary Ellen Hangmer Jones was born in 1856 and had her name changed to Lydia in infancy, so there's a precedent for Mary->Lydia evolution.

None of the Lydias born in Oswestry between 1812 and 1822 seem to be connected.