Author Topic: Meaning of tripe dealer  (Read 5009 times)

Offline YrElldee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meaning of tripe dealer
« on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
My 3x great grandmother was recorded in the 1861 census of Glanrafon, Bangor as a 'tripe dealer'. Can anyone throw more light into this occupation? Additional information is that she was a widow, aged 79 and her husband was a shoemaker - as was her son. Another son, Evan Edwards became a butcher in the High Street. There's an obvious link with tanning and butchering but I have seen the term 'tripe dealer' before and without these links.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of tripe dealer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
A dealer buys and sells.   Tripe -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Tripe is the stomach of a cow and used to be a popular, cheap dish - my father used to like tripe and onions! So a tripe dealer would just be someone who sold tripe.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
I have a tripe dresser ancestor. I assume that he cut the tripe from the animal and/or prepared it for sale. Or maybe he sold the tripe in a shop which specialized in that rather than selling a variety of meats like a regular butcher (but then I think he would be a seller or dealer).  I am only guessing.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
When I was young the popular cheap dish was chitterlins with a dash of vinegar, which are the intestines of a pig.  i'd never had tripe until my OH had been demobbed and we settled in another county town, where I was surprised to see a market stall that only sold tripe =  I decided it was time I tried this delicacy and was handed a tripe suitable for an unfamiliar palate.  Once was enough  ::)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Chitterlings are not cheap any more, £16 a kilo now.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
There was quite a large trade in tripe and other  products such as cow heels(cows feet).
The process was quite complicated as the cows stomachs were green from the grass they ate.
The tripe was bleached in huge tanks for several days and then rinsed and rinsed.
The various parts of the stomachs had names,thick seam,thin seam ,honeycomb etc.
Cows feet were similarly treated.
My mum used to make a very nourishing (no doubt ::) cowheel stew with onions and carrots etc and sometimes a bit of oxtail and OXO cube.
 Left to simmer on all day in the side oven of the big black grate,potatoes added part way through and a suet crust on top for the last half an hour or so of cooking time.
I refused to eat it!
Tripe was also eaten just as it came from the tripe shop ,with salt and vinegar and tomatoes.
 I refused to eat that too.
Very cheap and nourishing ,but now quite expensive I believe since the "yuppies" decided it was a posh delicacy.
U.C.P. shops(United Cattle Products)were everywhere and restaurants too.
                                                                    Viktoria.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
My parents grew up in the Depression, and still ate and enjoyed such things as tripe, brains, trotters, etc. when I was growing up. I guess it stems from the concept of no waste.
I blame all these trendy cooking shows on TV. Lamb shanks is a favourite of mine, and is now quite expensive.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
As I said earlier my father loved tripe and onions served on mashed potato. I think my mother poached the tripe in milk? The smell was enough to put you off and my siblings and I refused to even taste it. In fact, my father was the only one who ate it, even my mother wouldn't touch it.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk