Author Topic: Burial in 1888 listed as Marylebone, how do I find out where the grave is?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Kat7272

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial in 1888 listed as Marylebone, how do I find out where the grave is?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Chris Doran, I think he could have afforded a headstone and some of the family were stone masons. I hope that helps, thanks.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Maybe his will states what he wants done with his body when he dies  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 April 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
As you know George & Ann died very close together and you know where Ann is, Hampstead Cemetery on 27th October 1888, I would ask the cemeteries' office at Camden to check to see if George who died 10th October is with her.

I know of several 'missing' entries that aren't missing, just wronly transcribed so they don't match up.

http://camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/contacts/council-contacts/community-and-living/contact-leisure-department-cemeteries-management/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 April 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Fair point dawnsh. In general I find Deceased Online really useful, but the limited search facilities are sometimes frustrating. Specifically, the lack of ability to search geographically within the UK.

In this particular case, being able to search all Hampstead burials for 1888-89 would be really helpful. I've tried the advanced search with 'include similar names' checked, but to no avail.

In my experience, the staff at the Islington & St Pancras Cemetery office have always been as helpful as possible, but very busy. I swim at the pool nearby, happy to pay a visit this week.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Ann Strawbridge was buried at Hampstead Cemetery, not at Islington & St Pancras Cemetery. 

Hampstead Cemetery is at the top end of Fortune Green Road in West Hampstead.

https://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/community-and-living/lifetime-events/hampstead-cemetery/

The records are held at the cemetery itself, and (some) at Camden Local Studies, in Holborn Library.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Ann Strawbridge was buried at Hampstead Cemetery, not at Islington & St Pancras Cemetery. 

Yes, I was the person who posted this in the first place. The Islington and Camden Cemetery Services office, which looks after Hampstead Cemetery, is based at the Islington & St Pancras Cemetery office, which is why I was offering to go there. I figured they would be able to tell me more about the availability of the appropriate records.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 April 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
Mistranscriptions and omissions on Deceasedonline have been reported before *. I once did some spot checks at St P & I and found omissions in their records pre 1900. Perhaps the problem extends to other Camden cemeteries.

Hopefully Rattus's visit to the office and maybe Ann's grave will reveal all. Good luck!

* I've also found incomplete plot numbers. e.g. they omit consecrated/unconsecrated in places where X-cons and X-uncons are different sections some distance apart.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 16 April 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Mistranscriptions and omissions on Deceasedonline have been reported before *. I once did some spot checks at St P & I and found omissions in their records pre 1900. Perhaps the problem extends to other Camden cemeteries.

The staff at Islington & St Pancras have mentioned on a couple of occasions that the records for the two halves of the cemetery (i.e. the Islington half and the St Pancras half) are very dissimilar. Islington's are quite meticulous, whereas the St Pancras ones can be problematic. I wonder whether this might contribute to the issues that you've identified.

I can't compare directly between the two halves based on personal experience, as all of my research has ended up being on the St Pancras side. However, I can say based on today's experience that the Hampstead Cemetery records are so much better organised than the St P ones. On which note, findings to follow...

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 April 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
In short, Ann Strawbridge is buried alone. This was verified first via the cemetery service's computerised records for this specific plot (N6/28), then via a scanned copy of the plot register entry.

The latter document is fascinating and raises further questions. The plot was purchased by "Exors. of Mrs Ann Strawbridge" on 2 August 1888. The first interment fee was paid at the time of purchase and the grave was excavated to 7 feet deep "in reserve". Ann was then interred on 27 October. There is a field on the paperwork titled 'Monument' which looked like it should contain a cost figure, but it simply contained a tick. The cemetery services employee didn't know how to interpret this, other than it looks like the plot should have some sort of memorial.

So the plot was purchased nearly three months in advance of burial and was dug in preparation for two people. Presumably this indicates some kind of lingering illness on Ann Strawbridge's part. It also begs the question of who the second person was intended to be and why the plan was changed. Finally I wonder about it being purchased by the executors (in advance???), rather than a named individual, but maybe this is just standard practice in certain circumstances.

I now have a plot location map; I'll head over ASAP this week to see whether there's a memorial that can tell us any more.