Author Topic: The Gentleman executioner  (Read 2468 times)

Offline mark9825uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Gentleman executioner
« on: Saturday 14 April 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone, I just started tracing my ancestry and my paternal great grandmother was Florence Kendall nee Marwood. I think I am related to the Kings executioner William Marwood. Now I am hooked and fascinated its taking up all my spare time..I think I read he did 178 hangings and invented the Long drop to make it quicker...If anyone knows ANYTHING about him I certainly would appreciate any info...I just have the basic birth death year etc..Thanks Everyone in Advance Mark Stansfield From HULL in ENGLAND

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: The Gentleman executioner
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 18 23:59 BST (UK) »
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 April 18 01:19 BST (UK) »
WOW iluleah, That's a real treasure- I'm sure that Mark is going to be jumping for joy with your find!

Well done you! 👍👍👍👏👏👏 Excellent!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline mark9825uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 April 18 02:14 BST (UK) »
http://www.billgreenwell.com/page.php?id=67
To say thank you does not seem enough but I will say it anyway..THANK YOU so very much for this fantastic reading...Iam lost for words  . What a fascinating article. Thank you once again. Regards Mark Stansfield. I Certainly was jumping for joy Jaybeinz... That is really special.  Fantastic...I am over the moon...Thanx once again

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
I assume you did a google search?

Did you also look at the google images?

This is fascinating....
http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/WilliamMarwood.htm
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
I read the articles with interest, as there's a distant family connection for me with Pierrepoints, apparently. Really not a job I'd like to have!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
I believe that   Albert  Pierpoint  went  on to keep a  pub..  apparently   if  a stranger went  in he'd look them up and downd and say "  so many feet"  when they asked  what that meant  , wa told  that's  how much rope  he reckons  he'd  need..    :(   Black humour!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
The pub was the ‘Help the Poor Struggler’ in our town.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
I have had the link saved for a while now ( just waiting for someone to ask! ;D) No not really......  ::)

I had been researching a sibling of an ancestor and she married a prison guard who worked at Lincoln Prison and the ancestor was charged and spent some time before sentencing in Lincoln. As I know Lincolnshire very well and this guys life/work was full of twists and turns as well as 'guarding' his brother in law I did lots of research and this was part of my findings, same era so I am assuming they would also have known William Marwood...so pleased now I saved it. It is great info!
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend