Author Topic: The Gentleman executioner  (Read 2462 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Gentleman executioner
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
I was interested in William Calcraft last year and found him in censuses. Marwood followed him.

1851 1536/466/24 makes interesting viewing if you have access.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mark9825uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 April 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
I read the articles with interest, as there's a distant family connection for me with Pierrepoints, apparently. Really not a job I'd like to have!
There is a fantastic film dvd starring Timothy Spall as Albert Pierpoint. It was an absorbing film...Not a job I could do either.. Marwood and Pierpoint became mini celebrities..even having a buisness card printed.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 April 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
Newspaper sites that carry some interesting items

http://newspapers.library.wales
Put "william marwood" (including the "   ") in 'Search'

New York newspapers (Trove)
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
Put William Marwood in 'Search' and select 'Exact search"
The Daily Courier 15 Oct 1876 has a lengthy interview

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
I believe that   Albert  Pierpoint  went  on to keep a  pub..  apparently   if  a stranger went  in he'd look them up and downd and say "  so many feet"  when they asked  what that meant  , wa told  that's  how much rope  he reckons  he'd  need..    :(   Black humour!
Years ago in Adelaide, a funeral director called Fred Elliott used to carry a tape measure with him. If anyone in the pub after work said they were feeling poorly, he would pull it out and take measurements, "just in case".
Sorry to go off-topic.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 April 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone, I just started tracing my ancestry and my paternal great grandmother was Florence Kendall nee Marwood. I think I am related to the Kings executioner William Marwood. Now I am hooked and fascinated its taking up all my spare time..I think I read he did 178 hangings and invented the Long drop to make it quicker...If anyone knows ANYTHING about him I certainly would appreciate any info...I just have the basic birth death year etc..Thanks Everyone in Advance Mark Stansfield From HULL in ENGLAND

Hi Mark.....If you find a connection to Sarah Elizabeth Marwood of Hackness who married Joseph Richardson Burnham of Frodingham Hall near Withernsea, let me know as I have an 1880s photo of her and her husband.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mark9825uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 April 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol.. I Will keep looking..I am only as far back to philip marwood in 1820 but thanks for the info