Author Topic: Kersell Family from Hawick Scotland  (Read 2302 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Kersell Family from Hawick Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 April 18 01:34 BST (UK) »
There is a death registration INDEXED at Vic Bdm online for 1902 and for an Agnes KERSALL, #2389.   It is possible there's not a great deal of family history info on that registration as the parents names are indexed as 'unknown'. I am sure the lack of knowledge for that info points to this registration would likely be for an adult, likely an elderly adult.  However, it should give Agnes' age, and of course the burial details for her.  It may show that she was a married woman, and give info about her children.

JM
ADD  10.37 AM NSW TIME.
I have just read back through this topic, and I now notice there has been an additional (and recent) edit to this post changing the spelling KESSELL to HESSELL. 

The Vic BDM is free to search (and can use wildcards) https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

Marriage 1865 John KESSELL HESSELL and Ann Sophia JONES
Births to this couple - all with surnames KESSELL
   1870 Alice Sophia
   1876 Annie
   1872 Arthur John
   1883 Beatrice Tobitho
   1867  Priscilla
   1878  William Albert

I think this is a different couple. 

Ros

adding : some gruesome snippets about Ann Sophia KESSELL and husband John KESSELL http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article189681094
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article180892380
and probably an obit for this John KESSELL in 1904 in Bendigo http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article89877398

Given the overlapping births and other discrepancies I think you can safely ignore the 1906 obit.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 April 18 02:31 BST (UK) »
It is entirely irrelevant but you are mistaken JM.   The change was made within minutes of posting the original post and then I searched for and added additional information after that (and have since been shopping and to the dog park  ;D )

You will find a variety of spelling variations so I can't imagine why you would fixate on this anyway.

Ros

adding : But a good find for the death of Agnes in 1902  :)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 April 18 03:00 BST (UK) »
It is entirely irrelevant but you are mistaken JM.   The change was made within minutes of posting the original post and then I searched for and added additional information after that (and have since been shopping and to the dog park  ;D )

You will find a variety of spelling variations so I can't imagine why you would fixate on this anyway.

Ros

Fixated .... excuse me, but I doubt I am fixated.   I read your post around the time you initially posted, on my e-reader, without logging in. At that time there was no alteration to the spelling, and no addendum.   Then, when on my work puter, (as I am now) I logged in and posted, and then read back through the thread.   

I understand that an 'oops' would be a pleasant option particularly as it is altering the capital letter of the surname, and in my experience, most of the Australian based BDM indexes are alpha by surname.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 April 18 03:04 BST (UK) »
Let's get back to the search JM  :)
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 April 18 03:09 BST (UK) »

Why do you suggest that somehow I am not?

ADD, afterall, I wasted a fair amount of time looking through Trove for a mention of a 1865 marriage for John KESSELL ....

JM

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 April 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
Excellent JM and it led to the missing son James that I was going spare trying to find.

Funny how at the time one thinks one has tried all spelling options... ;)

1902 2389 KERSALL Agnes Place of death Mboro Hosp Age74

1903 2109 KERSALL Jas Place of death: Iwood H Age 35

The Kessell/Hessell’s having nothing to do with the family. It was a misprint in a Trove Obit that started that line of though.

Jamjar

Robert’s at Avoca Cemetery, but no others listed:

KERSEL Robert 24 Jun 1897 47 Avoca
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 April 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
John senior’s death:

1890 3661 KERSEL Jno at Moonambel aged 80

Jamjar

Funny how at the time one thinks one has tried all spelling options... ;)

Jamjar

The index for the Moonambel Cemetery has a different spelling from the death registration for John's burial record .

KERSALL, John
Aged 80
Died at Moonambel
Date 112th Jan 1890

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 April 18 22:21 BST (UK) »

ADD, afterall, I wasted a fair amount of time looking through Trove for a mention of a 1865 marriage for John KESSELL ....

JM

I and many others also searched trove for a mention of an 1865 marriage for John KESSELL (as that was his name) and other variations.   This is what family history research is about.

I don't consider it a waste of my time as I enjoy helping people with their family history

Ros

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 April 18 23:55 BST (UK) »

JM

I and many others also searched trove for a mention of an 1865 marriage for John KESSELL (as that was his name) and other variations.   This is what family history research is about.

I don't consider it a waste of my time as I enjoy helping people with their family history

Ros

Ros,  it was the mis-information YOU posted that caused my time to be wasted.  I enjoy helping people with their family history, whether in the on-line forum environment accessing digitised primary source material or in the older traditional format via hands-on with the primary source material. 

JM

ADD,  perhaps if you had made a further post noting the change to the surname .....