Author Topic: Help with reading address  (Read 2420 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading address
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 April 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 April 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
https://cottageology.com/dublin-3-ballybough-part-iii-ballybough-road-to-north-strand-road/

Super! I am SO impressed with your ability to find what I have obviously missed :-)

Boo

You had the record?

Not sure which record you mean.
Yes, I had the record of the prison register, but couldn't read the address for Margaret, I have a fair few records for her, but none with anything like this address. I didn't have her Dad's death record which shows his address as a match for what I couldn't read and I didn't have the photo of the cottages in Foster Place.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 April 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, have filed those away for when I get time to update what I have for Joseph and then can make a start at sorting out what I have for Margaret and add that.

Takes me a while, but I'll get there in the end :-)

Boo

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 15 April 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks dathai, that is great news  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
Possible death's for Matthew English's father Thomas in Boston,Kildare 1886
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1886/06249/4789281.pdf

a son Thomas Joseph born 1883 with grandmother Bridget Ryan as informant
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02722/1844073.pdf

Bridget Ryan died 1891 with Bridget English as informant
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1891/06062/4728308.pdf

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
goodness! thank you dathai.

That was really kind of you, but please don't spend any more time on it, you've already done so much to help.

I have spent the last few months on a 'fishing' exercise for the Boyne family of Dublin. I had a William Boyne, born 1878, Dublin who married in Liverpool in 1899. All I knew about his family was from his marriage certificate which said he was a cattle dealer and his Dad was also William Boyne, a cattle dealer.

In 1901 William jnr and his wife were recorded in Liverpool and there was a visitor called Joseph Boyne, brother to William who was listed as being 12 and born in Dublin.

Now that parish records and civil registers are available online I have spent hours looking for possible records for both a William and a Joseph and found what  seemed the most likely family so have been following them through.
I now have 12 siblings for him fairly comprehensively documented and also have his parents marriage records.

I was very aware that I may well be merrily documenting the wrong family but plodded on, branching out to siblings marriages, offspring etc etc in the hope  I could find something that would either confirm or deny that these people could be definitely linked to 'my' William Boyne (well actually my husband's family, not mine)
and yesterday you may have heard a whoop of glee that resembled a sonic boom. :-)

I found his father's burial on the Glasnevin site. I took a big breath and opted for the 'extended' results plus images at 10 euros.
Best 10 euros I have ever spent :-)
I got a whole list of burials in the same plot, all the same family, most of whom I knew about but another couple of little ones born and died too soon that I wasn't aware of.
But the best part was that when the mother died in 1905, the person who arranged the burial was William Boyne of 14 Derby Street, Stanley, Liverpool, Lancashire, England !!
That little snippet means I have found and documented the correct family.

I may well be back with requests for further ideas/help with William Boyne jnr's parents who are proving elusive prior to their marriage, but for now I have a lot of sorting and typing to do to add these people to my tree site.

Thanks again for your help

Boo

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 20:09 BST (UK) »

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 05:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks dathai, your interest is much appreciated.

Yes, that 1901 census return is damaged but the forenames are just readable if you squint a bit. The ages don't 'quite' match for the girls but I thought it likely as the other person linked to that address on the Form B matches wth her son Francis, his wife and baby (their FormA also damaged but partly readable).

I do have Marion's marriage, birth and death of her only child and her death in 1907 (her widower remarried in 1913)

Mary snr's reported ages on various records seem to be arbitary to say the least. Full age, in 1866 when she married, 48 in 1901 on that census, 50 in 1904 when admitted to the workhouse hospital, 50 in 1905 when again admitted to the hospital and died there and, miraculously, 46 two days later when the workhouse registered her death. I feel that the 'full age' in 1866 would be nearest (if not quite accurate) to the truth as if she had been 46 when she died that would mean she was married at the age of 7 and was 8 when she had her first child:-)

The documents that I have for her are here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lww/

Her surname on childrens birth/death registrations is sometimes O'Kelly, sometimes Kelly.
Her parents were, according to the parish marriage record, Bartholomew Canning O'Kelly (a dealer according to the civil cert) and his wife Mary and a Kate Canning/Cannon O'Kelly was both a godmother and the registrant for a couple of the childrens births so may have been a sister or sister in law.EDIT : She seems to have been Mary's sister, Catherine Cannon Kelly (a minor) married John Murphy 12 Oct 1873, St Paul Arran Quay, church record says Father Bartholomew Canon Kelly, deceased
So far I am failing to find a baptism for Mary to try to find her actual year of birth.

The only two children I haven't yet sussed properly are Elizabeth Christina (born 1873, no records found so far after her birth registration) and Mary Esther (born 1883, no records found so far after the 1901 census).

I'll keep plodding on with it, something may turn up!

Boo