Author Topic: Helpful photo caption!  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Helpful photo caption!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 April 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
Just a thought: do what you can!

I too have many undated/unidentified family photos. My father (luckily) was pretty good in adding the dates of our family photos on the back. For some of the undated photos, at least I vaguely remember some of the people in them and I can make an educated guess at the approximate date. My children (now thirty-ish) have no memories of the people in these photos, would be be unable to identify the people in them or their family relationships to them. They have - at that age - little interest in genealogy.

So anything we can do to identify the people in photos, describe what we remember of them and what relationships they had with our family will be valuable by the time our children and grandchildren become interested in genealogy. For me this was aged 60. I wish I was interested at an earlier age so that I could ask my parents and grandparents about the people in my old family photos. But I wasn't and a lot of information has been lost.

I really do think that it's important that we record our personal memories and 'research' for future generations.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 April 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
I have one, taken by my Dad of his aunt, captioned "Taken 2 years ago".

Easy...2016  :P ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 April 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
I have one, taken by my Dad of his aunt, captioned "Taken 2 years ago".

Easy...2016  :P ;D ;D ;D
Carol

Of course. Why didn't I think of that?

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 April 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
I have a small photo, guessing 1918 onwards, written on the back is Daisy and Buttercup, my father's family cows!    ;D ;D :D

About a year before my mother died (2002), she started naming the photos, so imagine my surprise when I came across one of my ggrandparents, after she died :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 April 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
Several of mine have names like Auntie Vera, Cousin Sarah on the back - not very helpful unless you are very familiar with the family tree. Words like "my grandfather" also need a bit of clarification for others. I intend to go through them again and rename them with something like "Vera Smith, aunt of Mary Brown", but even that is not easy... You could end up writing an essay about the image
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Several old albums in the house have very 'helpful' captions- if only we knew who the albums had belonged to (even which family would be a start).

Probably the best one-
A postcard of an old man with "you'll know who this is" written on the back and addressed to great-great-uncle who died in 1936. Uncle Johnny probably did know who the man was but we have no clue  ::)

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!