Author Topic: internet - Nothing happens when I put destination in the address bar  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
internet - Nothing happens when I put destination in the address bar
« on: Sunday 15 April 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I switch the computer on and it loads up as usual but when I put a destination in the address bar an press enter, nothing happens only the little circle going round and round, BUT I can get onto the net by clicking a link from one of my emails.  Any suggestions please?
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: internet
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 18 01:18 BST (UK) »
Don;t know what the problem was but for the moment everything seems to be working fine though a little slow, but there again it is an old pc and I'm still on XP.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: internet
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 18 03:56 BST (UK) »
Things sometimes go crazy for no apparent reason, but can still be annoying!  Perhaps traffic overload (peak time) maybe?

I have XP as well.  A friend of mine, a whizz computer guru, who runs a very successful computer and electronic business, always recommends them highly says that XP is the best ever, and all of 10 his still staff use them, both in their office and their homes! From all the differerent computers that come into his shop for repairs or technical problems, XP is rarely brought in! Or if they are, it's usually a user thing, rather than an XP thing.

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: internet - Nothing happens when I put destination in the address bar
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Well you are taking a risk, and best to be aware of it.

Microsoft no longer supply security fixes for Windows/XP.  If a new security exposure is found - in Win 10, or 8 or 7, then it's fairly likely to be present in XP also. But it will not be fixed.   That could be an issue.    However, if you understand this and are happy then, fine.  XP was a good system.   (I'm still on Win 7 - which will have a similar issue in  a couple of years).
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Well you are taking a risk, and best to be aware of it.

Microsoft no longer supply security fixes for Windows/XP.

And IE, Chrome and Firefox also are not supported on XP anymore leaving you even more open to problems if one of these are used. Drivers for new hardware unlikely to be available. New software not designed for XP, the list goes on.

Jaybelnz, I just cannot believe that a "computer guru" his company, and all his employees would promote XP, it doesn't bear thinking about knowing the security issues, remember the world wide attack last May? Are you sure that there is not a little gentle leg pulling that you are still using XP, or is there really an enclave down under keeping XP alive regardless of the likely consequences  :) :) :)

Simon

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
I'm aware of that, and I do keep a check on it, I've moved away to a different area now and have a different service person who checks it out for me. 

I mostly just use an iPad now.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections