Author Topic: Different father's name marriage bann!?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Zoe44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Different father's name marriage bann!?
« on: Sunday 15 April 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help me...
I'm slightly confused as my greatgrandmothers marriage bann lists a different father's name to the rest of her brothers and sisters marriage certs.
It's listed as "Charles Allen" and not Frederick Allen"

If the certs were filled in by the registrar could this just be a simple error or should i dig deeper as it seems so strange?

Her sister Ethel and partner were witnesses, I've also attached her sisters cert to see father's name Fredrick..

I really hope someone could help and maybe give their opinion!?

Thanks so much x

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Different father's name marriage bann!?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
If I am looking at the right family in the 1891 census it consists of Frederick, Charlotte, Henry, Albert, Charles and Rose.  The 1901 just has the two girls Rose and Ethel.

I see that the same vicar married the girls.  If all the other siblings have Frederick and Engineer on their marriage certs, then it may have just been a simple error by the vicar.  Perhaps he had a senior moment and put the brother Charles down as father instead of Frederick.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Zoe44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 April 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Girl Guide yes I was hoping it was a simple error too i just wanted someone else's thoughts on it...
And you guys in here are normally so clever with things like this!

Thanks for your reply..
I'll put it down to a senior moment!! Lol x

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Fathers name is written as what was told and not checked to see if it is correct, OR if the vicar knew the family could be a simple slip up/error/or reality ( I am assuming Fred/Charles were brothers)

You could check the BTs and if there is a day book for the parish that too and of course check for a baptism and purchase a birth cert to enable you to cross reference the records.. those should give you more info/same info/different info.

My great grandfather married twice,  different 'father' written each time, neither were his father ( and his father was alive both marriages) his birth cert, baptism record and 1st census he was in proved his recorded father although I think it was someone completely different ( but researched records don't agree with me)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Zoe44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah,

Thanks for your msg, thats really interesting about your greatgrandfather I think I need to order a copy of her birth cert for cross ref otherwise it'll nigggle me!

Can i ask what you mean by check the BT's??
Not sure how I'll find a day book for the parish but I'm sure I'll work It out and thanks again!😊

Fathers name is written as what was told and not checked to see if it is correct, OR if the vicar knew the family could be a simple slip up/error/or reality ( I am assuming Fred/Charles were brothers)

You could check the BTs and if there is a day book for the parish that too and of course check for a baptism and purchase a birth cert to enable you to cross reference the records.. those should give you more info/same info/different info.

My great grandfather married twice,  different 'father' written each time, neither were his father ( and his father was alive both marriages) his birth cert, baptism record and 1st census he was in proved his recorded father although I think it was someone completely different ( but researched records don't agree with me)

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
BT's are Bishops Transcripts.   These are records that have been sent to the Bishop by the local vicars.

Added:  A bit of info here about BTs

What Are Bishop's Transcripts?
In its most basic sense, a bishop's transcript is a copy of a parish register. As bishop’s transcripts generally contain more or less the same information as parish registers, they are an invaluable resource when a parish register has been damaged, destroyed, or otherwise lost. Bishop's transcripts are often of value even when parish registers exist, as priests often recorded either additional or different information in their transcripts than they did in the original registers.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
If the day book is still available and it is for some parishes, it was the parish diary, so the day to day bookings, with details, the PR, the parish record was written on the day from the information given and every 6 month or so the PRs were copied and sent to the Bishop, so BTs ( Bishops Transcripts) ALL should have the same information, but they don't always.
I have broken brickwalls simply by researching the same event on those three records and in the day book the vicar had taken a census in the village in 1865 so half way between census and the details he wrote were fascinating noting down each households children, where they are now ( 1865) where they lived, who they married, didn't really help me but it did help a lady who contacted me from the other side of the world in establishing exactly which of the two sisters ( Eliza /Elizabeth) was her direct ancestor as one of them had an illegitimate child( who was left and lived with her grandmother her whole life) but that meant she could research this child's father so her complete ancestry correctly as the fathers name was written in the village day book... knowing the name it enabled me to look at bastardy records and I found them
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Another thing to check is to look at the banns either side of the one you are looking at. I have seen cases where names have been copied from entries either side, instead of the correct one.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Another thing to check is to look at the banns either side of the one you are looking at. I have seen cases where names have been copied from entries either side, instead of the correct one.

Good point, as it is always worth remembering that human errors happen. The birth cert/baptism record should clarify who the father was.