Author Topic: Navy Uniforms  (Read 1841 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Navy Uniforms
« on: Sunday 15 April 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
 I wonder if anyone can give an explanation to the difference in these uniforms. Both are supposedly Royal Navy uniforms, and should have been taken between 1933 and 1943. I noticed that one jacket has 4 rows of buttons and the other has three. One also has a white cover on the cap. I'm not at all familiar with uniforms of any type so looking for some help from the experts.
Thanks in advance
Brian
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Navy Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to upload the photos....sorry...will keep trying. This is the message I get:

Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again.

Ok, success! :)

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
The 4 button double breasted uniform is that of an Officer, you can just see the lace on his cuffs too.
The 3 button double breasted uniform is that of a Petty Officer and he would not have lace on the cuffs, his would be blank or have buttons.
I collect WW2 Royal Navy Uniforms so will try to take some pictures of each and post up.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rootes,
                     It's the three button guy I'm trying to ID. The photo was taken in Shanghai but I don't have a year. He looks to be quite young so must have been early in his naval career. I have a family member who would fit, but I can't find much on his records. His name was Charles Grenville Cowley, and he supposedly attended the Dragon School in England, then Royal Naval College in Dartmouth, and was a cadet aboard HMS Wren. He stayed in the Navy and retired as a Lt Cmdr retiring after the war. He died at only 35 at Tubney, Abingdon at the home of his mother. His adoptive parents were Lady Cowley and Sir Arthur Ernest Cowley. I've ruled out everyone else that it could have been but I don't have any proof of his visit to Shanghai at any particular time.

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
I can't help out with the name and history but the three button uniform was not that of a Petty Officer.  the cap badge, although fuzzy, is the wrong shape.  The tab on his lapel marks him out as a cadet ( not to be confused with midshipmen who wore, and still wear, white tabs) so this fits with your man and was taken very early in his career.  The white cap was replaced by a black one for all personnel during the second world war and for several years afterwards.  the later picture was taken during this period by which time he had made Lieutenant.  Advancement to Lieutenant Commander by retirement was practically guaranteed for officers who passed through Dartmouth.
C

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
CPercival,
                Well that makes some sense and fits better with the time line. Now I just have to find a way to trace his movements with a bit more accuracy. I had a hunch about the photo being taken as a cadet.
Thank you,
Brian

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 April 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
I agree with the 3 button jacket being that of a cadet, i didnt notice the collar pattern until I looked at the photo again.
The cap badge is hard to determine.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
Looks to me like a MN cadet. The cap badge is not RN.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
What is MN cadet?