Author Topic: Navy Uniforms  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Navy Uniforms
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 April 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
Merchant Navy.

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 April 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
Merchant Navy

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 April 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the photos are of the same guy but some years apart? The four button guy was definitely in merchant marine in Asia when he was younger, so the 3 button time frame could have been him in the 30's. The later one is 1944 at his wedding. He must have joined regular navy for war
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 April 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to agree with HMac, the cap badge gives much more the impression of MN (Merchant Navy).  I also checked out HMS Wren.  as far as I can establish she never served in the Far East.  having commissioned in the early thirties she spent all her service in the Atlantic and home waters.  She was sunk in 1940 by enemy action.
C

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 April 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Just so I'm clear on the consensus here. The three button, younger officer with the white topped hat, is merchant navy? The four button one, is he regular navy? I know the four button person was also merchant navy earlier, but hard to decide if both photos are of the same person.

I found a photo of my relative, Lt Cmdr Charles Cowley, I guess this is his official photo As he died in 1949 I'd guess it was done maybe 1948? ( 35 when he died in 1949 )

I don't think he was either of the previous officers ( ears are different )

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
I would go so far as to say that the four button officer is not your Charles Cowley.  The harder I look at the picture the more I suspect that the cap badge on the black cap is not RN.  I also feel that the rings on his sleeve are not as thick as I would expect RN Lieutenants braid to look.  I think you have two pictures of the same man both in Merchant Navy uniform, one as a cadet the other as perhaps a second or third officer.  Nothing to do with Lieutenant Commander Charles Cowley.

C

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
cpercival: Thanks for you assessment. I agree with what you say. Although I'm not familiar with uniforms, it does make sense from other info that I have on them. The final photo, the one of Charles Cowley, I'm sure of and the four button chap is William Gosnold. I thought possibly the young fellow with the three buttons might be Charles, but more likely it was Bill Gosnold. It could be neither of them I guess but I think not.
Anyway, thanks all for the input. It's been very enlightening as usual. I always learn a lot here.
Brian