Author Topic: James Busby 1762 wondered if someone with more experience than me could help pl?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I am trying to work out if John born Steeple Barton in 1762 to James and Anne is the John who married an Elizabeth and had James Busby in North Aston in 1805.

The two villages are very close by and although impossible to be definitive I just wondered how likely it is.

In the 1841 census for North Aston (Piece 889. Book 1. Folio 6. Page number, 12)  James is living with his wife and children but above his name is John Busby born Oxfordshire, it is hard to make out his age but I think it is 70 or 79. If 70 then he was born 1771 and therefore can't be John born 1762 in Steeple Barton. I am assuming John is living with James and his family is because he is james' father.

In the 1841 census this John says he was born in Oxfordshire and several were born in Asthall and chipping Norton around 1771.

The only marriage of a John and Elizabeth that I could find that fitted the age of the children happened in Birmingham, in 1805. There is also a baptism of a John at SAINT MARTIN,BIRMINGHAM,WARWICK,England Father's Name:   Samuel Busby
Mother's Name:   Alicia. So maybe John b 1762 moved away and John b 1771 moved from Birmingham to Steeple Aston with Elizabeth and had their children there (they had John, James, Richard and Hannah which is quite a low number for those days). But then John in 1841 says he was born in Oxfordshire and North Aston is a tiny village in the middle of nowhere.

In your experience /opinion which is most likely to be right please? I am driving my self absolutely crazy as just when I think I have cracked it, I talk myself out of it!

Best wishes Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Other children baptised to John and Elizabeth BUSBY at North Aston include:

3 Sept 1798    John
22 Sept 1799  Hannah
(as well as James on 13 March 1806).

There are some other baptisms in the general area between 1799 and 1806, but not sure if they are all the same family? So if the John and Hannah above are your James siblings, presumably the parents' marriage is before 1798.

There is a marriage for John BUSBY and Elizabeth STATES at Beckley, 17 Oct 1793. A possibility? Presumably they baptise Mary 24 Dec 1797 and John 25 July 1802 at Beckley.

Not much help I'm afraid except to give you another option.  :-\

Also, I'm assuming this is John's death reg in March qtr 1844 at Chipping Norton (16/40) aged 74, so born c1770.

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Other children baptised to John and Elizabeth BUSBY at North Aston include:

3 Sept 1798    John
22 Sept 1799  Hannah
(as well as James on 13 March 1806).

There are some other baptisms in the general area between 1799 and 1806, but not sure if they are all the same family? So if the John and Hannah above are your James siblings, presumably the parents' marriage is before 1798.

There is a marriage for John BUSBY and Elizabeth STATES at Beckley, 17 Oct 1793. A possibility? Presumably they baptise Mary 24 Dec 1797 and John 25 July 1802 at Beckley.

Not much help I'm afraid except to give you another option.  :-\

Also, I'm assuming this is John's death reg in March qtr 1844 at Chipping Norton (16/40) aged 74, so born c1770.

Many thanks for getting back to me, the Beckley marriage is another option that fits much better than the Birmingham one. Also I think you are right about the death. This all points towards John b abt 1770 being the correct father rather than the John b 1762.
Thank you for your help and the name searches :)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There are 4 John BUSBY possibilities (that I can see) that are baptised in the area around 1770:

born 17 Sept 1769, bap Particular Baptist, Chipping Norton to John and Mary
bap 24 Dec 1769  Asthall to father Thomas
bap 22 Jan 1769 Deddington to William and Catherine
bap 14 July 1771 Chipping Norton to William and Elizabeth

There is still a John born c1771 Over Norton in the 1851, so this may be the one bap at Chipping Norton.

I haven't time now to check burials, but will try to come back later and have another look.  :)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Busby 1762 wondered if someone with more experience than me could help pl?
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
There are 4 John BUSBY possibilities (that I can see) that are baptised in the area around 1770:

born 17 Sept 1769, bap Particular Baptist, Chipping Norton to John and Mary
bap 24 Dec 1769  Asthall to father Thomas
bap 22 Jan 1769 Deddington to William and Catherine
bap 14 July 1771 Chipping Norton to William and Elizabeth

There is still a John born c1771 Over Norton in the 1851, so this may be the one bap at Chipping Norton.

I haven't time now to check burials, but will try to come back later and have another look.  :)

Hi there,

That is so helpful, thank you ever so much, I really appreciate your time and effort spent.

Best wishes,
Emma
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Busby 1762 wondered if someone with more experience than me could help pl?
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Might be an idea to move this thread to the Oxfordshire board - more knowledgeable people there with different resources who may be able to help. I'll ask a moderator to move the thread.  ;)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
Might be an idea to move this thread to the Oxfordshire board - more knowledgeable people there with different resources who may be able to help. I'll ask a moderator to move the thread.  ;)

Thanks ever so much :)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline Ajbusby

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 18 22:33 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather was Arthur James Busby. His father bought his cattle to London from Oxfordshire. There was also another son called Edgar. I believe they were both in the Navy. Any links?

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 November 18 00:59 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather was Arthur James Busby. His father bought his cattle to London from Oxfordshire. There was also another son called Edgar. I believe they were both in the Navy. Any links?

Hi,
I am afraid these names don't ring a bell, the name seems to be an Oxfordshire one concentrated in specific areas in the 1500s and spreading out from there after that so I am afraid there are quite a few. Most of mine came from Steeple Aston, North Aston and Middle Barton, so these places sound familiar? If its possible that we share a common ancestor though as the name was not too common. Many were shipped from the Deddington area in the poor clearances so it is possible you may find relatives in Canada.
Sorry I couldn't help more.
Best wishes Emma
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)