Author Topic: Huguenot and other research distractions  (Read 2576 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot and other research distractions
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Trying to connect names can make your head spin. 

My ancestors use of the same two christian names in various permutations, given willy nilly to sons, nephews, uncles never in a straight line.  Is that the mother's maiden name in there or is it just there? The male names that actually turn out to have been given to daughters.

Thank goodness for the weekly newspaper that kindly wraps all the glossy adds in blank newspaper, which I use in an (sometimes futile) attempt to join the dots ;D ;D

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jan. That makes sense once you explain it.

3SD, butcher's paper works for me.  :) I used to use the kids' leftover pads and books when they were at school, but that source is long gone unfortunately.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
I agree about the Huguenots in Canterbury.
Recently I've been trying to do some research not on any of my own lines, but for the maternal and paternal lines of a woman who became a second wife to an ancestor of mine, so a relative, but mostly different lines.
I found a Huguenot connection for her, and that led back from London to Canterbury, and was surprised, like you, how many interlinked families there seemed to be in the community.... and I kept getting distracted along every sideline...
-But then I find I often get sidelined by "just" looking at the next page... and the next one ....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
I think my worst distraction was seeing something the minister wrote about a couple in a marriage register. I can't remember the wording but he wasn't very flattering, so I thought I should look at the couple. Apparently had all their children before marrying, and while both of their current partners were still alive.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 07:22 BST (UK) »

An interesting scandalous "event" for someone's tree ;D ;D

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
I came across a death in Glasgow in 1900 cause Bubonic plague.  Not my rellie but I read a lot about it was fascinating.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 April 18 10:43 BST (UK) »

I always tell people that I have learnt so much more about my own country's and others history and how people lived since I started doing family research, much more than I ever learnt in a school history class.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 April 18 10:45 BST (UK) »

I always tell people that I have learnt so much more about my own country's and others history and how people lived since I started doing family research, much more than I ever learnt in a school history class.

Absolutely has worn off on my daughter too.  Teachers regularly tell her "you're not supposed to know that"
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 April 18 10:55 BST (UK) »

And much more interesting than a history class..... ;D ;D