Author Topic: Michael Usher - Sunderland  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Usher - Sunderland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
Marriage of William and Mary Foster

England Marriages, 1538–1973
Name: William Usher
Spouse's Name: Mary Forster
Event Date: 8 Nov 1827
Event Place: Sunderland,Durham,England

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 Mary Usher is described as 'Wife of Wm at Sea' this has been crossed through
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
This may be nothing to do with your ancestors but there was a Mary Bain who was connected (through an event) with some of my ancestors.  She was the said illegitimate daughter of a Ralph Usher who was in turn the son of a Thomas Usher who had a business in South Shields.  There was a lawsuit regarding Ralph being her father.  There are stories about this in the Shields Daily News dated Tuesday, 26 January 1892; Tuesday 16 February 1892; Wednesday 17 February 1892; Wednesday 9 March 1892; Thursday 12 May 1892.

I only found this out after researching Mary Bain through newspaper stories after learning that she had once helped and shown hospitality to my ancestors.   However, as your Ushers are Sunderland ones there may be no connection.   
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline RPLownds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
Jamjar im really sorry, I should have provided some context/back story, my grandparents are a Mary Usher (granddaughter of Foster) and a Mark Lownds. However when I looked into Mark Lownds I discovered his dad was a Mark Usher Lownds, he had been born out of wedlock to a Michael Usher and a Hannah Lownds & it is the mothers maiden name that has passed down as the family name, so in theory my grandparents 'should' be a Mark Usher and a Mary Usher! I am just trying to establish whethere they had any common relations (would be a family bombshell!), im a bit of a novice, but they sites I have been pointed to seem useful, is familysearch expensive?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
When you ask re family Search, if you mean the site it is free https://www.familysearch.org

You have to register but it is useful for transcriptions of censuses and some parish records.

This looks to be Mark Usher Lownds transcribed as Mark W but the original looks to be ‘U’. Is that him born 1883?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSC4-GXY
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RPLownds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood, yes that is him with his Grandmother, the mother of Hannah Lownds. His dad was a Michael Usher, son of Robert. It certainly appears that Robert is the older brother to Foster.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Free BMD has marriages in Sunderland

1885 Michael Usher and Mary Lownds are on the same page

1939 Mark Lownds  and Mary A H Usher
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RPLownds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood, yes Mary was the middle name of Hannah, she was Hannah Mary Lownds, in future Census she appears with Michael as Hannah. She also uses the name Mary on the birth certificate for Mark Usher Lownds.