Author Topic: Parish Marriage doesn't show Parents names  (Read 848 times)

Offline Miriam_90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Marriage doesn't show Parents names
« on: Monday 16 April 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
So, I found a church marriage register for my 4th great grandparents, John Galvin and Catherine Norton dated 7th November 1847 in St. Andrews parish.  I found it through the NLI online archives. The register only shows their names and their witnesses Patrick Norton and Catherine Kelly. There's no mention of their parents or where they lived. From their children's baptism records I know they lived on Exchequer Street in 1858. Only been able to find two children.

Even though the register doesn't show their parents names would the church still hold this information? Or would the be anywhere else to search?

I've tried to assume she was at least 21years old when she married as there's no mention of her being a minor in the register but there are for other women. I've also assumed that Patrick was her brother and tried to see if I can manually cross reference the parents names but no luck. It's entirely possible he was a cousin or uncle.

Thanks in advance

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Marriage doesn't show Parents names
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
The Church records do not have parents named.
Unsure which denomination the couple were.
Civil registration of Roman Catholic Marriages began in 1864. Fathers are named in Civil Registration.
Civil registration of Church of Ireland marriages were recorded from 1845.

Have you tried to find them on Griffiths Valuation. Start with address that was used for marriage.
Otherwise, you will have to trawl through lots of Baptisms to find parents names.Keep in mind that couple may have moved homes.

There are normally 5 times more birth baptisms than marriages.

Offline Miriam_90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Marriage doesn't show Parents names
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
The family were Catholic and as they married in 1847 there’s no civil record. I have certainly found so many Catholic Church marriage records with the parent’s names that this case stood out as being odd to me.

As I said I don’t have an address for them on the register so I’ve no idea where they lived other than somewhere within the catchment of St. Andrews parish. I have spent hours comparing baptism records for Catherine Norton and Patrick Norton (and variations) but nothing matched.

I’m still digging into it but not holding much hope.