Author Topic: Private Thanks - No Thanks!  (Read 3408 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Private Thanks - No Thanks!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Did any of the other people have a PM from this poster in relation to this post or was it just you.  :-\

Perhaps we should not be replying with information by PM unless it is sensitive, this should encourage them back to their main post. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
In the particular case I am referring to not all who helped contacted me afterwards.  However, although I will keep their identities and words confidential it appears that they did not receive any thanks.  Despite that (in my opinion) their posts were helpful all along and enabled me to finally get to the end story.

I know you help lots of people Rosie.  As it turns out on the case in question you were one of the helpful postees.  So I presume, you did not get any thanks either?

I think this is a suggestion worth considering.  I think I might start adding something along the lines of 'Please post any replies to this look up on the main board only'.  Perhaps in capital letters.  I don't disagree with pm - I know there is a place and reasons for this.  I am often interacting or helping others through pm for good reasons.  However, it is the switch over from suddenly being on the public forum where people know this will gain them the maximum possibility of gaining help to a sudden switch over to a private thank you.  It is this that baffles me and what I object to.  Why the need for privacy/secrecy just to say thank you?  ??? This is not something of a sensitive nature.

When I referred to those of us on RootsChat as being human beings and not search engines yesterday - I mean that we are people with feelings and emotions and not simply input/output machines regarding information.  I can't speak for everyone but when I am researching someone I do tend to get quite caught up with their stories.  People aren't just names and dates to me.    Therefore, I do enjoy getting a little bit feedback regarding things such as accuracy and whether the recipient has found this to be interesting or helpful. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
The poster probably isn't aware that when they start Pming one person with more information, say, the one that has helped the most, that the others on the board are left in the dark of the new information.   I have seen wording along the lines of "Your PM is appreciated but this information should be posted on the thread as others could be helping".

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, totally agree with this!

I like your logo, by the way KHP. ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
In this case the poster started the thread and posted no more information after the first hour.  A further twenty posts were made before RTL first posted over 24 hours later. 

There is no excuse for ignoring the other posters who continued to post to the end of the thread.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Again, totally agree Rosie.

May I also just add a general note?  I think if any of us ask for a look up and then notice that someone responds with what is found to be an off mark answer or writes that they have tried but failed to find information - still be courteous and thank them.  After all, they have still invested time on our behalf, even if unsuccessfully.   :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Perhaps their should be a disclaimer pop up notice for people who are asking for look ups - perhaps along these lines ...

Please tick the relevant box:

a) I agree to acknowledge any help given on this post.

b) I do not agree to acknowledge any help given on this post.  Information ungratefully accepted.  Nobody forced you to do it.

;D ;D ;D

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
 ;D   ;D   ;D

Still, maybe we should be more patient.  Perhaps they will come back to the post next weekend and reply to us all  :-\ 

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do hope they come back.  I think things could still be sorted out amicably and no hard feelings.  I agree let's be patient.

:)