Author Topic: Private Thanks - No Thanks!  (Read 3407 times)

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
Re: Private Thanks - No Thanks!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello to all rootschatters,

I am not an experienced chatter and have put up a few queries to which many helpers offered their suggestions. To all of these I have said my thanks (I hope), however as a newbie and not very computer literate it was daunting to do things correctly ie not knowing how the site operates! So I hope I haven't upset any of you.
One person came on instructing me to thank helpers, which I had already done, but probably privately. I didn't know!!!! I felt a bit small when they did.

Anyway, after all that, a beautiful rootschatter saw one of my posts, it was right up his alley, and he tracked down an unknown ancestry line back to the 1600's complete with documentation!
 I was amazed since I had none of the info to begin with!
So, once again .........Thankyou!, thankyou!, thankyou! for all you did to help me.
I now have the paternal line, names, occupations, addresses, reasons for my GGGrandfather's moves here in Australia and I love you dearly.

:-* :-* :-*
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK
Molde - Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany
Oram - Wiltshire & Somerset, UK
Randell - Devon, UK
Savren - Dorset, UK
Weilbach - Denmark & South Africa
Williams - Cornwall, UK

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
I totally agree with you.    I know and appreciate greatly all the research that is done by the extremely helpful researchers on Rootschat.    I have always found loads of people who are only too willing to help with my queries.    Sometimes I think I also forget to give thanks for info received.    Having said that I will always appreciate all the help given at no cost and if I have forgotten to thank anyone please accept my heartfelt thanks for many jobs well done.    Thank you all

Harry

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
When I get a PM asking for more information providing it is not 'delicate' information I always tell them I will reply on the main topic so that everyone who has posted can see what is going on.  I also post details of the question they have asked me. 

Maybe the person in question being new to the site thought that they had their own private researcher 
and the rest of us did not matter  ;D   ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
I always try (though may sometimes fail on occasion ::)) to thank everyone on any thread I start.

I don't usually single out any one, single individual, not because I'm ungrateful but for their help because I appreciate everyone who has taken the time and effort to contribute.

The etiquette of any forum can take a little while to get used to so I would imagine that the majority of posters are genuinely thankful for the help given but just need to read a few more posts to decide what is the usual and appropriate response on this particular forum.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
I hope that I always remember to thank people for their kind help, on here.... topics like this always make me worry if I might inadvertently have forgotten to thank someone at some time!
I do know that the total delight that I feel on the sadly rare occasions when I've managed to help someone else is such a lovely feeling that I could float on it.
But just in case ... thanks to anyone I owe a thank you to, - and, seriously, I certainly do appreciate the time and effort that is often put in following up leads for people can be huge. Help deserves thanks, and on the forum, too.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all these posts.  I truly have felt baffled by this issue. 

However, I am pleased to say that after reading these recent posts and the one from chris_49 from yesterday, I think I understand more about what may be happening.  I think it might just be down to a case of unsurety about where and how to respond rather than trying to evade acknowledgement.  As you say Jill - perhaps people are still getting to grips with the etiquette of the forum. So these posts have been particularly helpful to me. :)  At the beginning of the post I had a different impression.  It felt like some people were just taking the goods and running without a backward glance, so to speak.  I know others have felt this way too as I have got to hear of others' experiences.  I feel some good has come out of this as I for one have learned something from this.

I am glad to read of your successes on here Chrissie, but sorry to hear that you and Chris have had experiences wherein you have almost seemed to have felt told off  over this thankfulness issue.  I am sure this would not have been personal or intentional.   I think it is just the issue itself which can be contentious but thank you both of you for explaining things - through both your stories/experience of being newbies I now see things in a better light. :)   

ThrelfallYorky, you have exactly summed up how I feel when I am able to help someone.  This is definitely a labour of love - but it is nice to get feedback.

Cheers Everyone! :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner