Author Topic: 1864 death & burial, dates confusion, suggestions for reasons welcome  (Read 2312 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1864 death & burial, dates confusion, suggestions for reasons welcome
« on: Monday 16 April 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
I would love to hear others' opinions on the possible reasons for the seemingly long gap between death, burial and registration of a lady who died from childbirth complications. Here are my known facts
Jane Taylor gave birth to her second child, a daughter, the baptism record for infant Jane states she was born 25th August 1864, baptised 3rd September, daughter of Jane & Joseph Taylor (Runswick, mariner). Next is a burial record for infant Jane on 6th September 1864 aged 1 month. I have a funeral/death card for Jane Taylor which reads 'In memory of Jane Taylor, who died on the 3rd September 1864, aged 26 years. Janes' parish burial record  states she was buried on 24th September 1864, aged 26 years. Interestingly the number 26 looks like it has been altered from 1 and the word month has been crossed out. This scenario has long puzzled me. I wondered if the 3 week delay before burial may have been because of an inquest and searched newspapers, archives etc toto no avail. I recently ordered the death certificate in the hope of clarification and am now even more puzzled. The death cert states Jane died on 5th September 1864, of child bed, 1 week, uncertified. The informant was her husband Joseph, in attendance, but the date of registration is 30th September 1864.
So, my main queries are, why the long delay between death and burial & how come she was buried nearly a week before the death was registered (My understanding is that a burial could not take place without a death certificate or coroners notice)
Any clarifications, explanations or suggestions are very welcome.
Christine :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1864 death & burial, dates confusion, suggestions for reasons welcome
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
If a anyone carried out a burial for which the Certificate ( that the Death has been duly registered) had not been made and delivered, as the 1836 and 1874 acts required, either by the Registrar or Coroner, they had to give notice  to the Registrar within Seven Days,  if they did not they were liable to a fine not exceeding ten Pounds.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
See section XXVII of the 1836 Act     http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f3/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Stanmapstone, thank you for the link which clarifies the law at the time. I thought that was the case.
So if the recorded dates are correct and the burial did take place before the registration the local vicar was risking a large fine.
These events took place in a tiny coastal village and it's neighbour, both fairly isolated and I guess quite a tight knit community. I wonder if the vicar took pity on Joseph and bent the rules for him. If that were the case it does not explain the three week delay before burial. The weather was fine that September so I am also wondering how they stored the body to minimise deterioration
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest, do you also have the death certificate for baby Jane?

A thought that perhaps the vicar altered the wrong entry - some of the entries in the "age" column, on the two pages concerned, would appear to have been written at a different time to the names, dates, addresses etc. 

Only a thought  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Bumblebee, I haven't got baby Jane's death cert. I was hoping adult Jane's cert would clarify the matter. I did also wonder if the two had been muddled somehow. However, if the burials have been muddled there is still the question of how adult Jane came to be buried either 6 days or 24 days before her death registration. I will fork out for baby Jane's death cert to see if that will clarify. I did wonder if Joseph simply couldn't afford another burial/ registration cost within a short time period.

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 April 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
If a anyone carried out a burial for which the Certificate ( that the Death has been duly registered) had not been made and delivered, as the 1836 and 1874 acts required, either by the Registrar or Coroner, they had to give notice  to the Registrar within Seven Days,  if they did not they were liable to a fine not exceeding ten Pounds.

Stan

If Jane was buried on 24th and the death registered on 30th - the vicar/husband have just managed to register within the seven days, thus avoiding a fine. Could the burial date have been altered to arrive at this result - perhaps with advice from the registrar?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
I just know that I would HAVE to be nosy enough to purchase the other death certificate.  ::)

As for timing - well - you say that Joseph was a Mariner, was he at sea and couldn't get to register the death/s  :-\  Who knows?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
I just know that I would HAVE to be nosy enough to purchase the other death certificate.  ::)

As for timing - well - you say that Joseph was a Mariner, was he at sea and couldn't get to register the death/s  :-\  Who knows?
I had resisted until 5 minutes ago! I hope I get the correct cert as both mother and daughter have the same reference! Yes, maybe Joseph was at sea and unable to deal with the 'paperwork'. There was an extended family, practically everyone in the village were related somehow, I assumed another relative would have registered Jane's death on his behalf if he was at sea. It would however explain a delayed funeral I suppose