Author Topic: James Waddell, James Waddell and James Waddell  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
James Waddell, James Waddell and James Waddell
« on: Monday 16 April 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
James Waddell (1802-1882) and Jane Carswell (1802-1860) were married in New Monkland in 1824 and had eleven of a family, including two named James:

1 James Waddell son of James Waddell Labr in Ballochnie and Jane Carswell was born the 4th Novr and baptised 14th Decr 1824.

2 James Waddell lawful son of James Waddell carter in Standridge and Jane Carswell was born 20th September and baptised 4th November 1838.

No 2 married Mary Smart Jeffrey, had a son (inevitably named James) in New Monkland in 1869, a daughter in Queensland in 1874, and died in Queensland in 1907.

I had always assumed that No 1 had died young. He was not with his parents at Stanrigg/Standridge in the 1841 census.

Enter No 3. He is in the 1841 census at Stanrigg, aged 16, in the household of Alexander Waddell of Stanrigg and his sister Jean, uncle and aunt to No 1 and No 2. Alexander later married Euphemia Waddell, daughter of (you've guessed it) James Waddell of Stonefield, and had two sons, the inevitable James and an Alexander, and a daughter.

Then comes a marriage in 1848, reported in the Glasgow Herald, "At Causeyend Cottage, on the 28th ultimo, by the Rev Dr Bell of Linlithgow, James Waddell Esq, coalmaster, Stanrigg, Airdrie, to Anne, only daughter of John Craig Esq."

In the 1851 census, at Ballochnie House, New Monkland, are James Waddell, coalmaster, aged 27, and his wife Anne, aged 25. I can find no trace of either of them after the 1851 census.

It is very tempting to assume that No 1 and No 3 are the same James Waddell. But if so
- there were two brothers, both named James, living at the same place but in different households in 1841
- if No 3 is No 1, how did the son of a labourer and carter who was a landless youngest son (of yet another James Waddell, just to confuse things further) become a coalmaster?
- what happened to No 3 and his wife after 1851?

I have combed the wills and testaments and the registers of sasines, but none has shed any light so far.

Thoughts, anyone?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Waddell, James Waddell and James Waddell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
I gather simply matching deaths to births isn't working.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
Glasgow Herald has this 18 March 1850

Scotch Bankrupts

March 13 James Waddell, junior, coalmaster, Stanrigg near Airdrie, and spade and shovel manufacturer Bredisholm.

Also number of adverts re.sale of Bredisholm Forge belonging to the sequestrated estate of James Waddell ,Junior in 1850.

Further notice in Glasgow Gazette 15 Nov 1851.

Google Books also have a notice in the London Gazette of the sequestration.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
How about Anne Waddell (widower) living with mother Janet Craig in the 1861 in NM.  Could be a coincidence given the commonality of the name(s).

Other than that possibility I find nothing on Waddell/Craig beyond what you found.  But, I did find an 1871 death of a James Waddell, Esq in Jamaica.  Maybe he skipped as I see nothing for Jr. beyond his bankruptcy filing at the NAS. 

Don

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, William, that looks very promising.

DonM, I think you have cracked it, thank you.

In 1861 Anne Waddell and Janet Craig are next door to John Craig, papermaker, born Markinch, which is where the 1851 census says that Anne Craig or Waddell was born.

In 1862 Anne Craig Waddell, widow, Moffat Paper Mills, daughter of John Craig and Janet, maiden surname not stated, married Alexander Burt, printer, in New Monkland.

In 1868 Anne Burt, widow of Alexander Burt, letterpress printer, died in Glasgow, parents John  Craig, paper maker, and Janet Sutherland. Previous husband not named.

So the only outstanding questions are when and where did No 3 die, and who were his parents?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
To answer your #3 you need the male siblings of Alexander who have a son named James (likely all of them). 

But lucky for you there are only four Alexander's baptised in NM (1795-1810).

I would help but you didn't publish Alexander's est. age.

Have fun!!!

Don

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 April 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
The eldest brother was Robert, 6th of Stanrigg, born 1790, died 1825/1826. He had a son: "Robert Waddell son of the deceast Robert Waddell of Standridge and Mary Orr was born the 17th and baptised 26th April 1826", but this child must have died young because his uncle Alexander succeeded as 7th of Stanrigg.

Alexander Waddell, 7th of Stanrigg, was born in 1797 and died in 1857. His son James was born in 1846, and both he and his brother died without issue.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
I typed out a very big  piece about your subject and It didn't go up, too tired to redo it tonight but will try it again tomorrow.

James.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I am all agog.

In the meantime I have found and transcribed a good deal of information about the sequestration of James Waddell junior, but not a whisper about his death.