Author Topic: Who really was the wonderful 'Mrs Robert Lockhart' WW1 ?  (Read 702 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who really was the wonderful 'Mrs Robert Lockhart' WW1 ?
« on: Monday 16 April 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
I am often looking at a wonderful local newspaper when researching - 'Whitley Seaside Chronicle and Visitors' Gazette' which is held on microfilm at the North Shields library. 

During the Great War years I have often come across poems encouraging others to action by someone who signs themselves as 'Mrs Robert Lockhart'.  Under one poem her address is given as 13 Esplanade Place, Whitley Bay.  Then in 1919 she wrote a lovely poem called 'Two Silent Minutes'.  By then her address was Newcastle.

I am intrigued to find out who this woman really was - as I am sure her words would have galvanized many a man into action. 

Do you know anything about the mysterious poet 'Mrs Robert Lockhart?'

If so, I would love to hear from you.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who really was the wonderful 'Mrs Robert Lockhart' WW1 ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi cannot offer much help other than 13, Esplanade Place, Whitley Bay was a Boarding House in 1911.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86,

Thanks for this.  Interesting. :)  That is a start.  So she looks like she lived in a boarding house during the war. 

I have just noticed on freebmd that a 7 year old child called Robert Lockhart died in the Tynemiuth registration district in 1916.  He may have nothing to do with Mrs Lockhart but I am going to try to find out if his Mother may have been her.

I am grateful for your look up of the address :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Here is his birth
Births Jun 1908 
Lockhart    Robert McMillan - mothers maiden surname Topping       
Gateshead    10a   1174

ADDED 1896 marriage has father as Alexander Lockhart & mother Margaret Topping  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Now this is strange.  I do wonder if Margaret Topping was Mrs Lockhart?  If it turns out she is, I wonder why she is calling herself Mrs Robert Lockhart instead of
 Mrs Alexander Lockhart.

Many thanks Rosie.  I think I will need to see if the child was buried in the Whitley area which is where she was living.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
It appears that the boy in question was neither buried at Whitley Bay or Preston. 

I may be barking up the wrong tree - but I have a hunch that he is Mrs Robert Lockhart's son. ??? 

When I get time I am going to check for a newspaper look up.

I have become quite interested in Mrs Lockhart through her poetry.  I sense she was quite a deep, passionate minded woman - a watcher of people and a lady with a hidden depth to her story.

Oh the thrill of the chase! :)