Author Topic: Salvation Army researcher re Newcastle Maternity and Rescue Home (1897 - 1924)  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
I have been helping someone with research and they applied to get information from the Salvation Army. I think it has been seven or eight months now. Has anyone applied for such information and how long did it take? I think it is only one researcher, but feels like we will never hear back.
https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00214
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Salvation Army researcher re Newcastle Maternity and Rescue Home (1897 - 1924)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

That seems like an awfully long time. But from the SA website here in Britain they reckon it can take as little as a couple of days to two years with an 88% success rate.

I wish I could be more help

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/about-reuniting-families

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
Re: Salvation Army researcher re Newcastle Maternity and Rescue Home (1897 - 1924)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 01:56 BST (UK) »
Wow. Thanks Claire. I think the birth certificate for the illegitimate infant was sent, but I guess it just gets put in a queue. We had the mother's name on that. There must be a huge demand, which is understandable.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 02:57 BST (UK) »
It seems a long time not to at least have an acknowledgement.

The delay may be due to our privacy laws.  They may have to research whether someone may still be alive, before they can answer you.

I'd think it would at least be worth an email to see if they got your request.  You could also ask, if they did get it, whether they can tell you when they can give the information, and/or if it is not available for some reason.   Some of these places keep their books closed for 100 years.  And remember that their main focus is on the living, not the dead   :) :)

Dawn M 
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 03:27 BST (UK) »
The person who applied was a grand daughter and the child in question was born over 100 years ago and thought to have died in 1946.
I take your point on living reunions versus the deceased and family history inquiries.
I would have thought it was a straight-forward inquiry given we had the DOB and mother.
I need to recheck in with my fellow researcher, but I just wanted an opinion on time-frame.
Thank you.