Author Topic: Searching for a birth record  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Glinny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a birth record
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry Hallmark, maybe the word ‘stumped’ is the wrong one! ‘Puzzled’ would be a better word to use maybe. 🙂
County Westmeath: O'Neill, Deane, Maher, Jessop

Dublin: Donegan, Brennan,

Ireland & Scotland: Keenan

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm what heywood has said - and try and unstump!

based on the marriage in your original request I searched for a person named Anne MAHER from Clonyhage with a father named Joseph.

As there is only one Joseph MAHER in the area on the 1901 census I looked at his family with his wife Bridget BAKER.

I found at least nine children to a couple of these or similar names

One baptism for an Anne in 1881 and is transcribed as MARSHALL with a mother named BAKER and all other information similar.  A check of the original baptism could confirm if this is a mis-transcription and should be Ann MAHER.  There is no matching civil registration for this birth that I can see.

The 1901 census for this family shows all the children found except Elizabeth and Anne and the deceased Thomas

Joseph MAHER died in 1904 LINK

The 1911 census for this family shows widow Bridget with similar children and names however there is also a 1911 census return for Anne MAHER-DEANE with a husband and children causing confusion.

I would suggest that when you look at the 1911 census for Bridget MAHER and her family she gives her mark as she cannot read (and probably also could not write). If you look at the signature of the enumerator, James Keane, and all the writing on the page, it looks as if he may have completed the full form.  This is supposition but suppose Anne was present on the day he called and he completed the form incorrectly showing her as single? It took a number of days/weeks for the enumerators to collect the forms. There were many errors where people misunderstood questions and gave incorrect information.

The Enumerator's Abstract Form was completed on April 21 1911 in Westmeath LINK
and on April 27th 1911 in Bray LINK

To check this out for proof - I would start with the church record of the baptism of the Anne MARSHALL/MAHER to see which name is really recorded and also to see if the record is endorsed with her marriage details.
I would also look for the church record of her marriage to see if both parents' names were given there as was often the case.
These are not on-line - you would have to contact the church.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Also note that on the birth record of Bridget Josephine DEANE
her place of birth is Clonyhage on June 07 1909 and
her father is shown as John DEANE of Bray!
LINK
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Yes the enumerators wrote down the information they were given...

I remember them coming to the door when I was young and enumerator was accompanied by a policeman!  My dad answered questions at doorway.

I remember next Census when my parents were out and I answered them.... I even gave my dad's second name, which my dad didn't like m doing when he asked me later!

At that time I gave the ages that my mum and dad told me they were..... problem is I never knew their correct ages until years later!!

Often wondered how the information I gave would have differed from what my dad would have given that night!!   ;D ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
One of my OH's relatives had us stumped for many years where he stated how married years he was married in 1911 as the combined total for all his marriages. Not just the then current one!

Just a point if you are ever searching for policemen in the census returns which are recorded as just initials on the Barracks' returns - open a few census returns from the area as they signed their names on these forms!
Further generations:

Offline Glinny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks again everyone. You're all brilliant in my eyes, always willing to help. Thank you
County Westmeath: O'Neill, Deane, Maher, Jessop

Dublin: Donegan, Brennan,

Ireland & Scotland: Keenan