Author Topic: WILLIAM & AGNES REID (BOYD) ANN REID (later MORLEY) 1804-1922 Auchinairn  (Read 858 times)

Offline Carole147

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would be grateful for your help with my correct paternal gt g'parents/gt gt g'parents(on my g'mothers side) as uncertain if I've followed the correct "William Reid" 

My g'mother:Jane Reid Morley b.7 Mar 1880 Govan, d.24 Nov 1953 Belfast.

Her parents:William Harry Morley & Ann Morley(maiden surname,Reid). Ann b.abt 1849/50 Auchenairn, Parish Cadder, Lanarkshire. d.possibly 1922 Belfast.(any information whether Belfast is correct would be great).

Anns parents(my gt gt g'parents)William Reid(Engine fitter/journeyman)Agnes Reid(maiden surname, Boyd),this inform from William H Morley & Ann Reids' marriage certificate, 1875 Tradeston.

Census' for William Reid I followed:
 1841.William 35, b.abt 1806 Ireland. Agnes 30.b. Ireland
 1851.William 47, Occup freestone quarrier b.abt 1804 Ireland. Agnes 40. Ann 1.
 1861.William 57, Ironstone miner, b.abt 1804 Ireland. Agnes 51. b. Ireland. Ann 11 yrs.
 1871.William 67, Stonemason, b.abt 1804 Ireland.

William Reid died 14 Jun 1876 Auchinairn, age 64(Mason), but the William from the census would have been aged 72(not 64) & b.1804.

I would be very grateful for your help with this, also to find out where William & Agnes were b.& d.(if Ireland, could it be Belfast)& any other possible information abt William, Agnes, their parents or Ann would be great, many thanks, carole 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM & AGNES REID (BOYD) ANN REID (later MORLEY) 1804-1922 Auchinairn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Ann b.abt 1849/50 Auchenairn, Parish Cadder, Lanarkshire. d.possibly 1922 Belfast.(any information whether Belfast is correct would be great).
There is a death of an Ann Morley in Belfast on 11 February 1922, aged 72. The actual death certificate can be purchased online at https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/search/death

Census' for William Reid I followed:
 1841.William 35, b.abt 1806 Ireland. Agnes 30.b. Ireland
 1851.William 47, Occup freestone quarrier b.abt 1804 Ireland. Agnes 40. Ann 1.
 1861.William 57, Ironstone miner, b.abt 1804 Ireland. Agnes 51. b. Ireland. Ann 11 yrs.
 1871.William 67, Stonemason, b.abt 1804 Ireland.

William Reid died 14 Jun 1876 Auchinairn, age 64(Mason), but the William from the census would have been aged 72(not 64) & b.1804.
It's not unusual for ages on death certificates to be wrong, but 8 years is quite a large discrepancy. Where was he living in 1861 and 1871?

If William and/or Agnes died in Ireland, their death certificates should be at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Carole147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
   Many thanks Forfarian for link abt my gt grandmother, Ann Morley(maiden name,Reid). Have looked at 2nd link, but unfortunately not been able to find the birth or marriage details abt William Reid & Agnes Reid(maiden surname,Boyd).
    Census show they were both born and married in Ireland (eldest son William born abt 1835 Ireland),before family moved to Auchinairn. Cadder.Lanarkshire.
    1841 census. Village of New Auchinearn. Cadder. William 35. Agnes 30. William(son)6. Agnes (daur)2mths. Rossie Reid 60.
    1861 census. New Auchinairn. Cadder. William 57. Agnes 51. William 25. Agnes 19. Robert 18. James 14. Ann 11. John 9. Jean 1. Agnes Beverland(niece, unm.18 b.Ireland).
    1871 census.Clelland's Land.Auchinairn. Cadder. William 67.Agnes 60.John 19. Jean 11.
 Though all the census' would make William 72 on his death certificate on 14 June 1876, he is aged 64. (ref:1876 Western District, Cadder. Co Lanark at Auchinairn. inf: William Reid, son). Death certificate: William Reid, died aged 64. Mason. Married to Agnes Boyd.)
      If you are able to find out any information abt William & Agnes births and marriage in Ireland &
 if it is the same William Reid family(for all census & death certificate) I would be really grateful for your help, many thanks carole

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
   Many thanks Forfarian for link abt my gt grandmother, Ann Morley(maiden name,Reid). Have looked at 2nd link, but unfortunately not been able to find the birth or marriage details abt William Reid & Agnes Reid(maiden surname,Boyd).
I only suggested that their death certificates might be available there, assuming they died in Ireland, because you said you were looking "also to find out where William & Agnes were b.& d....".

Census show they were both born and married in Ireland (eldest son William born abt 1835 Ireland)
Civil registration of births, marriages and deaths in Ireland started (IIRC) in 1864 so (a) any record, if it exists, would be in the church records and (b) with no idea where they were from or who their parents were, haystacks and needles spring to mind.

Though all the censuses would make William 72 on his death certificate on 14 June 1876, he is aged 64.
Yes, you said this in your original post, but if the wife's name and the address match other information (which you have now confirmed), and the informant's name and relationship match, then it's probably some sort of error and I would not read too much into it.

That being so, there seems to be little point looking in Ireland for William's death. Does the death certificate not tell you the names of his parents?

I see no death for Agnes Boyd, other surname Reid, in Scotland. However there is a death of an Agnes Reid, age 75, in Cadder in 1886 who could be your Agnes. If I were you I would take a look at this death certificate.

I note with interest Rossie Reid, aged 60, in the household of William Reid. I think there is a good chance that this could be William's mother. There's a death of a Rose Anne Reid, no age stated, in Cadder in 1862. It might or might not be worth having a look at that one.

Also Agnes Beverland, niece, born 1842/1843 in Ireland if the 1861 census is accurate. Might it be worth trying to follow her up and try to see if her mother was a Reid or a Boyd?

Jean Reid, aged 1 in 1861, must have been born in 1859 or 1860 if her age is accurate. Where does the census say she was born? Who were her parents - Agnes was getting on a bit so possibly not her, but could she be a granddaughter? If she was legitimate, her birth certificate should tell you when and where her parents were married, and if they were married in Scotland their marriage certificate will tell you the names of her grandparents.

Quite a few avenues for you to explore.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Carole147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all this information & ideas I can look into further, best wishes, carole