Author Topic: Help with decoding 1673 Lincolnshire marriage records  (Read 415 times)

Offline AndrewBillyard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with decoding 1673 Lincolnshire marriage records
« on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
I've included a set of marriage records on a page from a 1673 Lincolnshire parish and there are 3 words that I just cannot decode.   In the attached image, I've added in blue the transcription for the record that I'm interested, but have left other  entries in so that you can see how I arrived at the transcription (note that "c", "e", "d", "a", "r", "l" and "s" are very tricky ).

There is a repeating phrase used in the 1673 records here that I can't translate and they are underlined in red and green.  Note that this repeating phrase is followed by a date earlier than the marriage itself.  The first word seems to be "Licenc" and the second "concell".  The third work (in green) I cannot tell: "?nr" perhaps.  In the record that I'm interested in, there is a fourth work which looks like "?ar".  Any help would be great here.  The issue here is that English has yet to be standardized via a dictionary and so I'm trying to guess these words by phonetics.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with decoding 1673 Lincolnshire marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
The entries seem to start in English, then change into Latin.

What looks like a 'p' with a curl and line through the stem is a conventional sign for 'per' - 'by', 'through' etc.
That's followed by 'licenc. concess' - it would take me a few minutes to work out the exact endings, but basically the phrase is 'by licence granted'. Then another 'per'.

What you've underlined in green is 'Cur', or 'Cur dat'. 'dat' is short for 'given'; 'Cur' probably is short for 'Curia' - 'court'. (I'm basing this on marriage licences being possibly issued by one of the church courts; 'cur' could conceivably be short for 'curate', but only a very few local clergy would be empowered to issue licences, and then only on behalf of a higher authority.)

Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
I agree with Arthur. It's standard Latin and would not normally be written out in full. It indicates that these couples married ‘by means of a licence granted/given by the Court’.

Offline AndrewBillyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
Latin!  Of course...no wonder it wasn't making sense for me.  Thank you so much for that, both to Arthurk and Bookbox!

The entries seem to start in English, then change into Latin.

What looks like a 'p' with a curl and line through the stem is a conventional sign for 'per' - 'by', 'through' etc.
That's followed by 'licenc. concess' - it would take me a few minutes to work out the exact endings, but basically the phrase is 'by licence granted'. Then another 'per'.

What you've underlined in green is 'Cur', or 'Cur dat'. 'dat' is short for 'given'; 'Cur' probably is short for 'Curia' - 'court'. (I'm basing this on marriage licences being possibly issued by one of the church courts; 'cur' could conceivably be short for 'curate', but only a very few local clergy would be empowered to issue licences, and then only on behalf of a higher authority.)