Author Topic: Help needed with Ann Medlicott/Downing/Nichols/Mason born Wellington  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed with Ann Medlicott/Downing/Nichols/Mason born Wellington
« on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
I have been wrestling with this issue for many years.  I have aired parts of the problem over the years but it seems that I have an entire part of a family that I cannot untangle.
1847 my 2 x great grandfather Thomas Medlicott b 1818 in Stirchley, Shropshire married Ann Nichols, my 2 x great grandmother b 1821 in Wellington, Shropshire.  The marriage took place in Wellington.  Thomas’s first wife  Matilda had died.  Ann gives no father’s name. Witnesses at the wedding are Sarah Nichols b 1826/27 in Wellington, Shropshire and Edward Hayward who later marry in 1848.

There is a possible baptism for Sarah with father Edward Nichols and mother Mary at All Saints, Wellington 1827. I cannot find any info on Edward Nichols or his wife.  Is Sarah Ann’s sister?

I cannot find a baptism for Ann and I cannot find her in the 1841 census. I can find an Ann Downing in 1841 living in the household of John Ison on Watling Street, Shropshire.  See below for Downing explanation

In 1851 Thomas Medlicott and Ann are together and with them is Mary Downing b abt. 1798 in Wellington, Shropshire.  She is described as Thomas’s mother in law .  I cannot find any info for Mary Downing previously Nichols.  She is described as a widow but I cannot find a husband dying. 

In 1851 Edward Hayward and Sarah have their own children living with them plus Martha Nichols born 1845 described as a relative.  I cannot find a record for Martha in GRO.

Thomas Medlicott dies and his widow Ann marries Henry Mason in 1860.  This time she gives her father as William Downing.  I cannot find a death for William Downing although her mother is a widow by 1851.  Witnesses at this wedding are Thomas Nickless and Emma Russel

In 1861 Martha Nickolas b 1845 is living with William Ison and family.  Is there a connection between Martha Nichols/Nickolas and Ann Downing who was servant to John Ison in 1841.

Hopefully someone will cast an eye over this and help me firm up some details.  They just don’t seem to appear in registers or I am not finding them.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with Ann Medlicott/Downing/Nichols/Mason born Wellington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
It's probably easier to analyse if you had transcribed the census(es) as we could then see ages/birthplaces /stated relationships in addition to a "name" .
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello
Is this the downing family in 1841?
Wellington Watling st
William Downing 50 Ag lab  Shropshire
Mary 40 Shropshire
Sarah 14 (I suggest formerly Nichols) Shropshire

So Sarah must be Ann's sister.

Like you I can't see a death for William
But the only marriage in Wellington for a Mary Nichols is to a William Stones 20 Feb 1837 ,no mention of marriage status.
There is a death for a William Stones in Wellington Sep 1849 age 67 so born 1782 .

As for the Nichols ,as you say there is a Sarah born 1827.
Let's assume that Ann is illegitimate and born to a Mary something in Wellington 1820/1821
So we have
Anne Holland  d of Mary 13 Mar 1822 servant Horton Wood
Ann Eaton 19.4.1818 d of Mary Oakengates labourer
Ann Day born 21.12.1821 d of Richard and Mary bapt 11.2.1827 Ketley ?

At a guess I'd assume Martha Nichols born 1845 Watling St Shropshire with Sarah and Edward Haywood is Sarah's daughter.

Which suggests neither mother are keen to take their children to be baptised at the church.

The only Thomas Nicklass in Wellington in 1861 is born 1815 the parish clerk and postman  but he's born Ireland.

But it occurs to me could Edward Nicholls not exist? Could it be that Mary never did marry before Mr Downing and started life as Mary Nichols ,perhaps baptised 15.9.1797 d of Rebecca Nichols and George Crocket at Madeley?

Rebecca had a large family without marrying-William 27.12.1791,Rebecca 6.10.1792,George Crockett 5.8.1794,Benjamin 3.7.1796,Lydia 24.11.1799,Sarah 16.11.1801,and John 24.6.1804

John Ison and William Ison are brothers born 1810 and 1799 sons of John and Hannah Ison nee Owl who married 20.4. 1795 at Wellington.

Sorry  I'm just not getting anywhere.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Ciderdrinker.  I have got nowhere for years.  But I will have look at your assumptions.  It helps to have someone else confirm that I really can´t find them. 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
other baptisms from Wellington to throw in the mix

Edward Nicholls baptised 13 May 1818 son of Mary, servant, of New Street

Henry bp 16 March 1831 son of William Downing, labourer, and Mary

Not that I can see either one after their baptism.

???
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Osprey

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
Witnesses at the wedding are Sarah Nichols b 1826/27 in Wellington, Shropshire and Edward Hayward who later marry in 1848.

Did Sarah not name a father either?

There is a possible baptism for Sarah with father Edward Nichols and mother Mary at All Saints, Wellington 1827. I cannot find any info on Edward Nichols or his wife.

Edward married Mary ALCOCK in 1822 at Wellington.  I can also see two sons, John and Emanuel.  Edward is here with Emanuel and Sarah as well as a probable mother in law in 1841:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQRV-9ML

Debra  :)

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Debra.  I will look closely at that one

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the inspiration those of you who answered my call.  I believe that I have now solved part of this.  In 1833, Mary Nicholds married William Downartt.   William Downward died in 1845.  In 1871, Mary Downward - widow - is living with her granddaughter, Jane Hayward born 1850 daughter of Sarah Hayward nee Nichols.  I need to fill in the census records but this one seems correct.