Author Topic: Help with surname please  (Read 850 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with surname please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith

Devizes for a birth place may not be a red herring at all.

If they might be Nonconformists (NC), Dissenters, Quakers or Jews, do you know if records of all the Devizes Chapels and Meeting places survive and if any Catholic Records have survived and if all are actually online.

Do you have their burial information and if any grave Memorial Inscription (M.I.) survives?

"Devizes was a hot bed for dissenters." Bit more here about the various Nonconcormists in Devizes.
http://www.trustfordevizes.info/the_dissenters

Mark

Thanks Mark - that is all useful information. I have tracked both William & Mary through to death & they are buried in Locksbrook - St Swithin's, Walcot with no M.I. As I mentioned in my original post the real reason for looking at William was to try & find a link to my 3 x ggf & the reference to Devizes being a hotbed of dissenters is interesting. My 2 x ggf on who I have plenty of information left Bath & went to London in the mid/late 1830's & by late 1850 he & another like-minded man had established a Strict Baptist Chapel in Chelsea. His obit states that his parents (my elusive 3 x ggf) were "ungodly" & I have always taken this to mean not of the SB faith.

His obit goes onto to say that he was offered a job as a bootmaker/shoemaker in London, after his master in Bath failed - again I have taken the term 'failed' as meaning went bankrupt. I checked the bankrupt register for the period & I found only one shoemaker based in Bath who went bust - a John Sloper & on looking into the Sloper family I came across baptisms for them in the Maryport Street SB Chapel in Devizes which made me wonder if he worked for Sloper was this the first influence of the SB faith on my 2 x ggf?

I think I need to look further at the NC registers.

Keith