Author Topic: Posts on 'wrong' boards??  (Read 2157 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Posts on 'wrong' boards??
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
Like Ruskie,  I head to 'Home" first.

I  strive to share my offline resources and knowledge (particularly on NSW admin in 19th century) on the main Australia board but I do also check both the Beginner and Common Room boards.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
Sometime it's not so clear cut where to post.  My 3x grt grandfather for example.  I could try the location boards but which one? He was born in Ayrshire, he met my 3x grt grandmother in Nairn, he studied in Edinburgh.  I could post in the general Scotland board but he also spent considerable time time in India with the army. His career in the army means I could also post in forces board or occupations board if there was a connection to his career.  So in cases like this common room is a good choice as covers all bases.  I have quite a few ancestors who could be slotted into a variety of boards.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 April 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
Carrying on from what pharma said, I have a few queries where, for example, the person was born in Northamptonshire but the registration district is actually Rutland. Also seems to be a few Derbyshire but the registration district is Nottinghamshire.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 April 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
I still check Rootschat usually at least once a day and I start with "recent unread posts".  Going by the title as well as the board it's placed on, I can usually spot those of interest.  I know others use the site that way and in my experience it's more efficient.
That's what I do. Pleased that I'm being efficient at something.  :)
I sometimes look at older posts on boards relevant to me and may find I can be of help or conversely, learn something from reading them.
I've never browsed old posts on The Common Room.
Title is key as John says. A title on The Common Room needs to indicate subject of the query.
Cowban