Author Topic: Posts on 'wrong' boards??  (Read 2138 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Posts on 'wrong' boards??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
I tend to check on "New Replies" first, then the various county boards that i'm interested in, then Common Room etc...
We all have our own ways. Perhaps if you try a "Partridge " search, you may link up with more of your flock?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Interesting replies - thank you all.

Please don't think I was suggesting that anyone is doing anything wrong!

I suppose the main reason for posting on specific boards is that you are more likely to tap into Chatters' expertise about particular topics or geographical areas.

I don't know, I guess we all muddle through, and get there in the end.  Whatever, I know I have had lots of help and fun using Rootschat. 

Melbell :)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
I confess that I post in the Common Room first if it's at all difficult - then all the geniuses will see it.

More routine queries should go on the County board but often the post covers more than one county, so Common Room again.

Many people don't know the right county because there's been so much change over time. Pre-1974 counties are best because they lasted a long time, but not everyone knows them. Warwickshire board is top-heavy with Birmingham queries - the one part of the county I've no knowledge of, and many of them should really be in Staffs or Worcestershire!

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
I always click on [ Unread Posts ] at the top of any Forum page.
That way I get to see any new post, regardless of which board they are posted on ;D

Me too  :)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
That way I get to see any new post, regardless of which board they are posted on ;D

Me too  :)
Me three :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 20:22 BST (UK) »

I do the same and click on mark as read when I leave so that I usually only get a page full to look through.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
I have it set up that when I click on rootchat it opens at new replies, then I click on unread posts.

I have noticed over the last few months many new rootschaters posting questions  in "How to Use RootsChat (Please don't post requests here)" at first I 'reported' so the moderator is notified so they can more it to an appropriate forum. However I do understand when you are new it is a maze until you get used to everything.
Also if you are posting from another country and don't know the UK countries it could explain why county posting could be more difficult AND especially the US forums where you wait years and people do not answer the question but just add their own, it maybe more logical for those people to post in the common room especially at first
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
A lot of people don't know the difference between a look-up offer section and a look-up request section and post new threads asking for a look-up in the look-up offer thread section. It's also surprising how many long term members ask for help researching living people and name them in their thread.

Blue

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
It can be difficult to know where to post a thread.

We often don't know where a search will take us. Sometimes a person or family could be living in one place, but then could be found on a census and they say they were born elsewhere. If the search is for their parents, or their birth for example, does the thread then get moved to that county board? Many rootschatters go beyond answering a simple question about a birth or marriage - this often leads to census finds, more bmds etc, different counties, different countries ....

I know posting the same lookup on different county boards is a definite no no, but it is easy to see why some people do this, especially when the family are known to have moved around, or the husband and wife come from different counties. There can be a lot of crossover, and it can get complicated.

Posting in the Common Room is just a way to cover all bases. Although many of the members do have speciality areas, most of them still help out on many other boards, so there are generally some good experienced helpers on most boards.

I think I'm alone in not checking unread posts - I generally head to the "Home" page to see the new topics as they appear.  :)