Author Topic: Looking for 3rd Great-Grandfather in 59th Regiment of Foot  (Read 1461 times)

Offline shazzyboo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for 3rd Great-Grandfather in 59th Regiment of Foot
« on: Tuesday 17 April 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on how I can find some more details on my 3rd great-grandfather's, John Edwards, time in the 59th Foot.  He was born in about 1838 in Gloucestershire, England.

I have found some details, but I am not sure if I have reached the end, or if there is more details I can find out.

Here is what I have found so far -

I have found him (John Edwards) on the British Army Worldwide Index 1861 as being stationed at Fort Beaufort, Cape of Good Hope as a Private in the 59th Foot (2nd Nottinghamshire) Detachment.  His service number is listed as 4058. (National Archives reference WO12 / 6849). He would have been about 23 years old at this point.

On his marriage certificate on 2nd Nov 1865 he was still listed as a Private in the 59th Foot Regiment. He was 27 years old at this point.

However, when his first son was born on 18th Aug 1866 he was listed as a Railway Messenger on the birth certificate. Also, as I understand it, the 59th Foot Regiment moved to Ireland in 1866 so he was no longer in the army at this point as he definitately stayed in Glasgow.

So from the above I have worked out he would have been discharged at some point between 2nd Nov 1865 and 18th Aug 1866.

I have a couple of questions -

- Does the actual Worldwide Index 1861 record provide more detail than that shown on findmypast? Or does that transcript contain all the details anyway?

- Is there anyway that I can find more details of his army career, like discharge papers for example, based on the fact I know he was in the 59th foot, his service number (4058), and that he was discharged between 2nd Nov 1865 and 18th Aug 1866? I have tried searching on the National Archives website but I wasn't able to find him.

Have I reached the end of my research or is there more I can still do?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 3rd Great-Grandfather in 59th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast only has the b a worldwide index for him so presumably he didn't do enough time to receive a pension in which case his service record would have been destroyed approx. 20yrs after leaving the army .
trevor
ps as far as I know what you see on worldwide index is all there is to see
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline shazzyboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Trevor!  I was worried that this might be the case.  Looks like I am at a dead end! Thank you for letting me know though :)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Do you know the names of Johns parents?
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline shazzyboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Do you know the names of Johns parents?

Yes, his parents were John Edwards (born about 1812 in Winterborne) and Elizabeth Jarvis (born about 1812 in Bedminster).  I see you have Edwards in your signature - do you have Edwards from that area too?

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
No, unfortunately. Wiiliam Edwards c1779 to 1871 and Tacy Griffiths 1795 to 1859 married Whitchurch, Herefordshire 1821. They had a George bapt. 7Oct1837.

Census 1861 Christchurch, West Dean Mon., Berry Hill and Bridewell.

Included in Monmouthshire for a period causes a lot of people some trouble.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
The Worldwide Soldier Index is just a snapshot of the Muster Rolls / Pay Lists in 1861

You should be able to follow his entire career quarter by quarter by ploughing through WO12/6820-6854 at TNA

That should give pay details, postings, any disciplinary charges, promotions/demotions, time in jail or hospital etc

Last entry would give details of the discharge, first should give some personal details and where recruited

It's a bit of a slog though

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE