Author Topic: Alison Moffat Muir (Born Thomson)  (Read 1389 times)

Offline ElleCid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alison Moffat Muir (Born Thomson)
« on: Tuesday 17 April 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to find the parents of Alison Moffat Thomson born in 1925, Polmont and died 27 Mar 1952 at 14 Inglis Place, Brightons so that I can work my way back.  I know she married Andrew Muir in 18 Jul 1947 in Reddingmuirhead and the marriage certificate shows her parents as James and Margaret Thomson (maiden name also Thomson).  James was still alive in 1952 however, Margaret died before 1947.  There are too many possible people on Scotland's People and I can't find Alison (who may have been called Alice too) on any ancestry or myheritage sites.

Anyone got any idea how I can ID her parents?

Thanks in advance,

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alison Moffat Muir (Born Thomson)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
There is one birth of Alison Moffat Thomson in Polmont in 1925  and a marriage of James Thomson to Margaret Thomson although this marriage is in 1901 in St Andrews area of Edinburgh which may be to early The birth certificate should give you where and when the parents married

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Alison Moffat Thomson's birth shows on SP's index but is not available to view/download as it's within the 100 year privacy regulations.

You would have to order a certificate or visit a Registrar's Office and transcribe the details.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Strangely, an Allison Moffat Thomson, wife of the late William Thomson, died 12th January 1946 (age 85) at 4 Park Crescent, Westquarter.

Could there be a connection?

The info came from a Death Announcement in the Falkirk Herald, 19th January 1946.

This lady had sons William, Robert & Alexander, daughter Mary (wife of Alec), grand-daughters Nan, Agnes & Elsie and great grandchildren.

I can send you a copy of the Intimation if it's of any interest.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
The Marriage of Alison Moffat & William Thomson shows on SP as having taken place in Polmont, 1880.

I'm thinking that this might be Alison Moffat Thomson's grandparents?

Anne

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 03:16 BST (UK) »
Alison Moffat Thomson's birth shows on SP's index but is not available to view/download as it's within the 100 year privacy regulations.

You would have to order a certificate or visit a Registrar's Office and transcribe the details.

If this was my direct ancestor this would be my 1st port of call as this is the only way to prove whether her parents were married or not...it's the most crucial part of your direct line/family tree (in my opinion).

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 06:23 BST (UK) »
There are too many possible people on Scotland's People and I can't find Alison (who may have been called Alice too) on any ancestry or myheritage sites.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

She is too recent to be indexed or transcribed on any of the commercial sites.

There are only two marriage of a James Thomson to a Margaret Thomson between 1880 and 1925 - one in Glasgow in 1895 and one in Edinburgh in 1901, though there are three after 1925.

You really have to get the information from her birth certificate to make any definite progress with this. Perhaps someone who plans a visit to the SP Centre would be kind enough to transcribe it for you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.