Author Topic: Dixon Meadows, Captain in the naval service of the East India Company  (Read 1081 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dixon Meadows, Captain in the naval service of the East India Company
« on: Wednesday 18 April 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've come across this gentleman in family research.  I understand that there is a book "A Biographical Index of East India Company Maritime Service Officers 1600-1834" by Anthony Farrington that I imagine would have information on him.  It appears to be unavailable to buy (at least on Amazon) so I'm wondering if someone has a copy and could check to see what it says about Dixon Meadows.  I'm writing from Ireland and haven't been able to find a library copy here.
Any information would be welcome.
Best regards
Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Dixon Meadows, Captain in the naval service of the East India Company
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 05:43 BST (UK) »
Can't find that book in particular, but there is this "Register of Ships Employed in the Service of the Honourable East India Company from 1760 to 1819" which has Dixon MEADOWS sworn in a sCaptain 29 Mar 1797 and Captain of the Earl of Wycombe 1797, and Baring 1801-1804. If you put his name as a search you can see a little other info.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lwx/

there is also this info about the Baring which mentions Dixon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baring_(1801_Indiaman)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi maddys52

Thank you very much for those references.  They gave me quite a bit of information on his career.  Googling the Earl of Wycombe to see if the same information was available as for the Baring, I found a reference to Dixon Meadows's marriage which gave me his wife's maiden name, an unexpected bonus.
Best regards
Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 23:49 BST (UK) »
Glad the info helped.  :) I did a quick newspaper search yesterday too, and found a death notice for Dixon's wife - do you have that?

Actually, I've just noticed that the original book you mentioned is in the catalogue of the University my son is attending. He's on a Semester break at the moment, but perhaps when he goes back he may be able to find it and copy any relevant information for you. Won't be for a couple of weeks.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi maddys52
No, I haven't got any information on Dixon's wife's death (or, indeed, his) so I would be delighted for the detail.  It would be very good of your son to look up the Farrington book but, please, only if it is not an inconvenience.
Many thanks for your help
Best regards
Dermo

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Here's the death notice for Dixon's wife
The Times, July 30, 1866, Issue 25563, p.1

I can't find a death notice for Dixon.

There's also a fascinating court case involving the family, - a fortune hunter marrying the daughter, but being disinherited, then threatening the father with blackmail - sounds like something out of a Jane Austen novel  ;D The article is too big to post here, if you'd like send me a pm and I'll email it to you. In the article it mentions Dixon died in August 1833, resided at Ilsley, Hants and had two children.

Here is also a death notice for the daughter
Morning Post, Saturday, September 28, 1889, Issue 36594, p.1

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
maddys52

Once again, thank you. I've sent you a pm.
Regards
Dermo