Author Topic: on burial records, does "son of" imply the deceased was a child?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
on burial records, does "son of" imply the deceased was a child?
« on: Wednesday 18 April 18 04:31 BST (UK) »
On 17 September 1804 there's a burial in All Saints, Dewsbury, for "James Tolson, son of Richard". Can I assume, from this wording, that James was a child?

Some trees show this James as the James Tolson who had married Priscilla Richardson. Am I right to discard this possibility, given the identification as "son of Richard"?

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: on burial records, does "son of" imply the deceased was a child?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 06:14 BST (UK) »
On 17 September 1804 there's a burial in All Saints, Dewsbury, for "James Tolson, son of Richard". Can I assume, from this wording, that James was a child?

Personally I wouldn't automatically assume that. If his father had siblings they may have named one of their sons James as well if they followed the practice of naming a son after their father and the vicar would distinguish them by adding the father's name, even when they were adults.

Some trees show this James as the James Tolson who had married Priscilla Richardson. Am I right to discard this possibility, given the identification as "son of Richard"?

I would be more inclined to dismiss the marriage as I would have expected the phrase 'Husband/Widower of <name of wife>' but the vicar may have been particularly patriarchal in his outlook and entered the father's name as a matter of course. However I wouldn't entirely rule it out.
Have a look at other entries and see what the general style of entry was.

Data from on-line trees should be treated with extreme caution especially if there are no documents quoted to back it up. Even then that documentary evidence needs to be examined very carefully.

I would look for a Baptism of 'James, son of Richard Tolson (and <name of mother>)' and a Marriage entry. If he was married the Baptism could be 18/20yrs earlier and maybe even more.
Even if you do find a marriage it may not be the same James Tolson. (see comment above about naming sons.)
Parish Records at this time are notoriously erratic in the details they give concerning marriages, some will simply say 'James Tolson married.' not even mentioning the bride, others will name both parties and their fathers and some will include the mothers' names as well if you are very lucky.

I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to solve the conundrum.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
This was within the era of Dade Registers and the majority of the burial entries in this parish indicate son or daughter of, widow of, wife of ... and some just the forename and surname (which I take to be the head of household).  As such there is no indication whether the burial is for a young child or just an unmarried son or daughter.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
Possible scenario.

Depending on the year of the marriage, putting marriage James  (as said first reply) around 18 years or older or more at marriage and needed to be baptized 18 years before or earlier. Thus it could be father Richard had a son James who died as an infant, then had another boy (who lived to be an adult) who he baptized as James 18 years or more before the marriage year.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

It could be if he married & died young he could have been buried in the family plot so they might have put fathers name down.
Dewsbury graveyard all but gone but could try and find out if their was a headstone.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
Possible scenario.

Depending on the year of the marriage, putting marriage James  (as said first reply) around 18 years or older or more at marriage and needed to be baptized 18 years before or earlier. Thus it could be father Richard had a son James who died as an infant, then had another boy (who lived to be an adult) who he baptized as James 18 years or more before the marriage year.
My bold emphasis

Good point!  That is one possibility that I forgot about.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Another point or scenario John raised - James could have married aged 18, then died aged 19 or 20 after marriage, being under age of 21 - Then he would have had 'James as son of Richard' in a burial record.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
This thread now needs to be read in conjunction with this one:-
on baptismal records, was father's name shown if he was deceased?

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 January 19 00:54 GMT (UK) »
A slightly late reply on this one but generally I take it to mean it was a child, but I think it may well depend on the church/vicar in a few cases.

I have ancestors buried at St Margaret in Prestwich, Lancs. and I noticed on several pages, burials of adults, shown as son of....

One page, in 1881, has 3 men aged 72, 25 & 57 and another has 2 aged 21 & 27, to name a few. There are many more. Maybe they were unmarried or widowed at death.

Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent