Author Topic: Elizabeth COULSON, Durham, England - date needed  (Read 1211 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth COULSON, Durham, England - date needed
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
I agree that it looks like a mourning photo. I wonder if there's cause and effect situation: that with the death of the person in the photo she felt she no longer wanted to live. Sadly, it happens.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have the original photo - it's a scan sent to me by her gggranddaughter  who lives in Middlesbrough. My gggrandmother died at her daughter's house in Norton, Durham.

If it is her in the 1880s and the photo is of a relative (female?) who died, then I need to see if there are any possibilities.
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget, interesting examples. It's definitely around the right time period.

England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
This is a very useful link for dating but it was taken offline when Rootsweb had problems last year.

Here's the full listing:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110911203143/http://www.cartes.fsnet.co.uk/date/main.htm

The photo on the table looks like a younger woman. Did she have any daughters who died in the 1880s?

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, great link!

She had just the one daughter, born 1851 died 1937. Her granddaughter was born in 1876, died 1959. She was living with them in the 1881 census.
England: