Author Topic: RAF Bomber Command Medals for service WW2  (Read 519 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
RAF Bomber Command Medals for service WW2
« on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
My uncle was a Flt Sgt Navigator on a Lancaster Bomber with RAF 100 Squadron when he and the crew all lost their lives on a bombing mission over Germany in July 1944. I am trying to find out if he would have been awarded any medals during his service or posthumously to his family. I have obtained a bomber command clasp for him quite recently after this was launched but i am wondering if anything would have been sent to his parents. How do i find out please?
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Bomber Command Medals for service WW2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
to find if he was awarded a gallantry medal then search the London Gazette (limit to the war years) with his name.

He would have been entitled to campaign medals, info about them here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility

In that time frame, medals had to be applied for, they were not sent as in WW1.  Info here about applying for a relative
http://support.britishlegion.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/246/~/claiming-medals---world-war-ii-onwards

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Max! That has sent me on the right trail hopefully!
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Just to encourage you further: I discovered by chance that my father had been entitled to a General Service Medal in recognition of his service on Java in 1945/46. I applied to the Medal Office, sending all the information I had in support of my claim and within a short while I got their reply confirming his entitlement. This was soon followed by the arrival of the GSM itself with the relevant clasp.

Good luck with your own application.

RRTB

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that encouragement. I have sent in the application so will find out the position in the coming weeks.
Caroline