Author Topic: Our Sherwood family of Eastbourne "A Bad Lot"  (Read 674 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Our Sherwood family of Eastbourne "A Bad Lot"
« on: Wednesday 18 April 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Now here's a thing.
I've in the past heard the rumours that the family my grandfather Sherwood married into in Eastbourne  considered the Sherwood's "A Bad Lot".  Something like the expression "pot calling the kettle black", or whatever it is, comes to mind perhaps here.
Now, having at last after very many years made contact with someone descended from this same Sherwood generation as my grandfather (surprisingly difficult considering he was one of nine consecutive sons, only one of whom died in WW1), I discover from her (my second cousin, of course) that the very same aspersions were made by the family of the wife HER grandfather married.
So, the Sherwood's moved to Eastbourne from at least as early as the 1881 Census from Brighton, and I was wondering whether, apart from trawling through the local papers, there might be some kind of criminal database that might back up this reported bad stain on the family character!
I expect other Rootschatters have come across this sort of thing from the in law element  before.  But quite interesting to get such a cross-reference as described above.
Very best wishes, Keith

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Our Sherwood family of Eastbourne "A Bad Lot"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,
The closest I can relate to this situation is with my aunt, who considered none of her sisters-in-law good enough for her brothers (especially the younger ones). Being a late addition to the family, I missed all the issues arising from this. And I was the apple of my aunt's eye, as she had no children of her own.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
It doesn't have to be a criminal past. As Pinefamily said it's more probable to be one family believing they were a cut above the other. I know there was no love lost between my mother & her mother-in-law who believed my father could have done better as my mother came from quite a poor family whereas she considered herself middle class (she wasn't).
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Are you a member of the Sherwood One-Name Group?  They might be able to help you.  See their website - sherwoodonename.org.uk.

I also have Sherwoods in Sussex, and very elusive they are too!

Melbell

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 18 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for those responses pinefamily, jim1 and Melbell...
And actually I used to be (and perhaps still am) a member of that Sherwood One Name Group.  Perhaps I should contact them to see whether any of them have ever been accorded the seal of disapproval...
Keith

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 18 05:50 BST (UK) »
British newspapers archives are also a good place to check just incase there were criminal cases reported for individuals in the family ..... I found one in here :)

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)