Author Topic: Looking for Henry Walker  (Read 741 times)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Henry Walker
« on: Wednesday 18 April 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It’s not often I give up these days but on this one I feel stumped.

I have a Henry Walker in my tree who was born 1892 in Darlington to an Ann and James (Jack) Walker. He appears beautifully in the 1901 census right where he should be, living with his father and step mother (also called Ann).
All the children of this family have been hard to trace but I think I have an answer now for all but Henry. I can’t find him in 1911, there don’t seem to be any suitable deaths, I can’t find a WW1 record and 1939 survey draws a blank.

I have looked for him abroad in the past but don’t currently have a world subscription.

Would anyone be willing to have a look for me to see if another pair of eyes will help. I have posted about this family in the past but several years ago now.

Thank you in advance.

Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Henry Walker
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 21:03 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I notice that he is 10 in 1901, so could he be 20 year old Harry WALKER in Fareham in 1911? Ancestry has his birthplace as Washington, Durham but the image shows Darlington.

The two Harry WALKERs b.1892, Darlington in the 1901 census are still with their parents in 1911.

Unfortunately there seem to be quite a few Harry/Henry WALKERS in the King's Royal Rifle Corps in the medal list so I don't know which one, if any, he is. He could also have changed regiment by WWI.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
That’s great, thank you. I will check that out.

Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy, (and anyone passing 😀)

I have made a bit of progress with this. Not much but some whispers to follow up.

I found a Harry Walker in military hospital twice, once with Epilepsy and once with suffocation during WW1. He was in KRR Corps and the regimental number is 9795.

This number corresponds to a soldier that signed up with the KRR Corps in about 1910 giving him chance to be on the census in the Alexander Military Hospital in 1911.

In addition he would have had a lot of incentive to sign up as his parents had both died and there may have been some of them in a workhouse for a while.

I know it’s only a possibility that this is him but at least it is something to bear in mind. Unfortunately  I can’t seem to find any service record for him which might corroborate my theory.

If anyone has a chance to look as a second pair of eyes that would be helpful. I may need this moving to the military board.

Thank you for your help.

Vonni