Author Topic: Two Cumwhitton, Cumberland place names in 1818 will  (Read 816 times)

Offline darianb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two Cumwhitton, Cumberland place names in 1818 will
« on: Wednesday 18 April 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I'm trying to decipher two place names in the will of my ancestor in his 1818 will in Cumwhitton, Cumberland, England. I feel like I have most of the letters almost right but the place names are almost meaningless to me.

The first word looks to me to be Sioenigill, which is an uncomfortable number of vowels. The 2nd and 4th letters are least clear to me. It might end with ...gile but there are a number of ...gills (ravine) nearby that make me lean that way.

The second place looks like Clint L?id. Leid? I'm fairly certain it's Clint but the second word eludes me.

I've uploaded a sample of the surrounded text in case it helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've love to know where my ancestor ended up.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two Cumwhitton, Cumberland place names in 1818 will
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
I see Swinigill and Clint End.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
Or Swinegill?

In the long extract the dots on the i's are often out of place, and the first part of this word seems to have only one dot belonging to it.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline darianb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Or Swinegill?

In the long extract the dots on the i's are often out of place, and the first part of this word seems to have only one dot belonging to it.

Oh yes, Swinegill is a possibility. I see there is a Swinegill Plantation slightly further south of where I'd expect the property to be. I'll do some hunting to see if there's another property with that name that makes more sense. Thanks!!

I see Swinigill and Clint End.

I originally thought Clint End, especially as another property in my family is Fell End. But I saw a different E in Executor and couldn't work out where to dot would fit if there was no i. Possibly he was a bit lazy on "End" if he was used to writing it but put more effort into Executor.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
I originally thought Clint End, especially as another property in my family is Fell End. But I saw a different E in Executor and couldn't work out where to dot would fit if there was no i. Possibly he was a bit lazy on "End" if he was used to writing it but put more effort into Executor.

The "E" in "Elizabeth" (3rd scan) is just like the one in "End".
Maybe the one in "Executor" is different because the next letter is an "x" (which he hasn't joined to the "E").

The word "Executors" crops up several times in the text and each time he uses the same form of "x", which is never joined to the "E".
In the word "next", he uses a completely different form of "x" and joins it to the letters on either side.

Since becoming addicted to this forum  ;D, I've noticed just how inconsistent my handwriting is. Heaven help anyone who tries to decipher it in a few hundred years..!  :o

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline darianb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 21:35 BST (UK) »

The "E" in "Elizabeth" (3rd scan) is just like the one in "End".
Maybe the one in "Executor" is different because the next letter is an "x" (which he hasn't joined to the "E").

The word "Executors" crops up several times in the text and each time he uses the same form of "x", which is never joined to the "E".
In the word "next", he uses a completely different form of "x" and joins it to the letters on either side.

Since becoming addicted to this forum  ;D, I've noticed just how inconsistent my handwriting is. Heaven help anyone who tries to decipher it in a few hundred years..!  :o

Karen

Wonderful, thank you so much. So that that settles it - Swinegill and Clint End. Now I just need to scour old maps to find those properties.

I have another family mystery based on handwriting that I'll put onto another thread. I had no idea how helpful people could be.